Sample Collection for Human Identification
Human identification and forensic investigations depend on the careful collection and handling of DNA samples. For optimal genotyping results, it is critically important that the collection is done with devices designed to:
- Enable efficient, high-quality PCR amplification for genotyping
- Facilitate automation, preservation, and storage
- Maintain chain of custody and sample integrity
- Validated with Applied Biosystem direct amplification STR kits
- Achieve optimization in a variety of configurations for challenging forensic collections
We offer an extensive, innovative array of Copan FLOQSwabs and ForensiX SafeDry sample collection solutions, integrated with the Applied Biosystems PCR amplification chemistry, designed to meet the challenging and unique needs of forensic DNA sample collection.
Designed to use a single divisible swab that can be split into two equal parts for later analysis .
To meet our forensic customers unique reference DNA sample collection needs, Thermo Fisher Scientific is proud to provide an extensive, innovative array of Copan FLOQSwabs and ForensiX SafeDry solutions, validated with the Applied Biosystems PCR amplification chemistry.
At crime scenes, it's essential that the sample collection device prevents microbial contamination while preserving nucleic acid integrity. The Copan 4N6FLOQSwabs and ForensiX SafeDry for crime scenes product lines are specifically designed for sample collection of a variety of forensic samples found at the crime scene.
We offer customized kit manufacturing solutions with a global distribution network for the sample collection workflow, to meet the challenging and unique needs of forensic DNA sample collection and preservation. Our human identification sales and FAS teams will work directly with you to help design a customized solution to meet your specific laboratory application needs. If you would like further information, please contact your local HID support or sales representative.
- Frippiat C, Noel F. Comparison of performance of genetics 4N6 FLOQSwabs with or without surfactant to rayon swabs. J Forensic Leg Med. 2016 Aug;42:96-9.
- A. Dadhania, M. Nelson, G. Caves, R. Santiago, D. Podini. Evaluation of Copan 4N6FLOQSwabs used for crime scene evidence collection. Forensic Science International: Genetics Supplement Series. 2013 Volume 4, Issue 1, Pages e336–e337
- Mawlood SK, Alrowaithi M, Watson N. Advantage of ForensiX Swabs in Retrieving and Preserving Biological Fluids. J Forensic Sci. 2015 May;60(3):686-9.
- Sarah N. Stricklin. The Evaluation of Different Collection Methods for the Optimum Recovery of DNA from Bloodstains on Various Surfaces. Thesis, 2013
- Garvin AM, Holzinger R, Berner F, Krebs W, Hostettler B, Lardi E, Hertli C, Quartermaine R, Stamm C. The forensiX evidence collection tube and its impact on DNA preservation and recovery. Biomed Res Int. 2013;2013:105797.
- Using DNA to Fight Property Crime
- Cotton Swabs vs 4N6FLOQSwabs: A Comparative Study for Optimal Recovery of Simulated Touch DNA. Rebecca Santigo, Glorianna Caves, Michelle Nelson, and Daniele Podini (Department of Forensic Sciences, The George Washington University), AAFS 2013
- Forensic Devices for Maximizing Crime Scene Sample Procurement. Luciano Garofano (Italian Academy of Forensic Sciences), Pasquale Linarelo and, Luca Salvaderi (NGB Genetics), AAFS 2012
- Forensic Flocked Collection Devices to Maximize Crime Scene Sample Procurement. Squassina A., Poli A., Gervasona A., Castrician S., Paroni R., and Triva D. (Copan Italia S.p.A), ISFG 2011
- Comparison of Copan Forensic Collection Kits to Traditional Forensic Devices for Maximizing Crime Scene Sample Procuremen. Luciano Garofano (Italian Academy of Forensic Sciences), Pasquale Linarello, and Luca Salvaderi (NGB Genetics), IAFS 2011
For Forensic or Paternity use only. All rights reserved. All trademarks are the property of Thermo Fisher Scientific and its subsidiaries unless otherwise specified. NUCLEIC-CARD and 4N6FLOQSwabs are trademarks of Copan Flock Technologies. Buccal DNA Collector is a trademark of Bode Technology.