ARL OPTIMX Slag Analyzer
The Thermo Scientific™ ARL™ OPTIM'X Slag Analyzer presents a uniquely compact and reliable WDXRF platform configured with Thermo Scientific™ SmartGonio™ for analysis of slags and pig iron. This small but powerful instrument comes with factory installed calibration for slags using Jernkontoret standards. Its quick start-up, ease of use, and analytical flexibility provide unparalleled value for iron & steel laboratories.
• New: 500W equivalent analytical performance from 200W X-ray power
• 200W equivalent analytical performance from 50W X-ray power
• High precision, outstanding repeatability and stability to comply with slag analysis requirements
• Pre-calibrated turnkey solution for routine slag analysis
• Lowest cost of ownership thanks to low operating cost, highest reliability and minimal auxiliary equipment
• Optional Multichromators for faster analysis or better performance on selected elements
• Innovative UCCO technology combined with SmartGonio to achieve highest sensitivity
Slag analysis requirements
Slags originate from various stages in the iron and steel making process, e.g. blast furnace, converter, basic oxygen furnace/basic oxygen steelmaking (BOF/BOS), electric arc furnace, or ladle.
Slag has a double role: it permits removal of the gangue and allows exchange reactions with the liquid metal, permitting control of the process to keep the desirable elements in the melt while the others are removed.
The analytical requirements in iron and steel laboratories demand elemental analysis for determination of CaO, SiO2, Fe2O3, MgO, Al2O3, K2O, MnO, Cr2O3, TiO2, P2O5, Na2O and S in slags.
Wavelength Dispersive X-ray Fluorescence (WDXRF) is the technique of choice for these determinations because it provides fast analysis with easy sample preparation, i.e grinding and pressing.
To be regularly informed on our latest developments and promotions (on OES, XRF, XRD and related techniques), subscribe to our E-Newsletter MATERIALS ANALYST.