||Neurobasal® media represents a full line of basal media formulated to sustain optimal culture of neurons. Our Neurobasal® media must be supplemented with either a serum-free supplement (such as B-27® Supplement or N-2 Supplement), or serum, and 0.5 mM L-glutamine, or GlutaMAX™-I Supplement.
Recently, a publication reporting excitotoxicity in mature hippocampal neurons purportedly due to Neurobasal® media has come to our attention. Please keep in mind the following as you make your purchasing decisions:
- There has been NO formulation change to Gibco® Neurobasal® Media.
- For studies involving embryonic, fetal, or early post-natal hippocampal or cortical neurons, the cysteine level in Neurobasal® media will have no effect due to the underdevelopment of NMDA receptors in these types of neurons.
- If you are concerned about the cysteine levels in Neurobasal® media for your current experiment, please visit our custom media page to inquire about a custom formulation of Neurobasal® media.
If you have any questions regarding your experiment, Neurobasal® media, please contact us for more information.
Choose the right Neurobasal® media for your experimental needs from the list below:
|| Recommended Products
|For Prenatal & Fetal Neurons
|For Postnatal & Adult Brain Neurons
|For Tumor Cell Lines
|No Glucose / No Sodium Pyruvate
|No Phenol Red
New Publications on Neurobasal Product Usage
- Prestegarden L et al. (2010) Glioma cell populations grouped by different cell type markers drive brain tumor growth. Cancer Res 70(11):4274-9. Product usage: Culture of glioma cell lines and primary cells from human glioblastoma (GBM) biopsies.
- Yagi H et al. (2010) Lysosome-associated membrane protein 1 is a major S SEA-1-carrier protein in mouse neural stem cells. Glycobiology 20(8):976-81. Product usage: Culture and differentiation of neural stem cells derived from mouse E14.5 embryos.
- Ma J et al. (2010) Neuroprotective effects of C-type natriuretic peptide on rat retinal ganglion cells. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 51(7):3544-53. Product usage: Culture of rat retinal ganglion cells (RGC) to study the neuroprotective effect of natriuretic peptide.
- Ransom CB et al. (2010) Postdepolarization potentiation of GABAA receptors: a novel mechanism regulating tonic conductance in hippocampal neurons. J Neurosci 30(22):7672-84. Product usage: Culture of primary hippocampal neurons isolated from Sprague-Dawley rats for use in patch-clamp studies.
- Cheung CC, Yang C, Berger T et al. (2010) Identification of BERP (brain-expressed RING finger protein) as a p53 target gene that modulates seizure susceptibility through interacting with GABA(A) receptors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107(26):11883–11888. Product usage: Culture of primary cortical neurons isolated from mouse E17.5 embryos.
- Lian I, Kim J, Okazawa H et al. (2010) The role of YAP transcription coactivator in regulating stem cell self-renewal and differentiation. Genes Dev 24(11):1106–1118. Product usage: Culture and differentiation of mouse embryonic stem cell lines.
- Peltier DC, Simms A, Farmer JR et al. (2010) Human neuronal cells possess functional cytoplasmic and TLR-mediated innate immune pathways influenced by phosphatidylinositol-3 kinase signaling. J Immunol 184: 7010–7021. Product usage: Culture of primary cortical neurons isolated from Sprague-Dawley E18 rats.