The Invitrogen GeneArt Gene Synthesis service offers chemical synthesis, cloning, and sequence verification of virtually any desired genetic sequence. You will receive a bacterial stab and/or purified plasmid containing your synthesized gene—ready for downstream applications.
Now get your genes up to 9 days sooner. Learn more
In addition to the faster service, we now offer the option of downloading your GeneArt project quality assurance data from Thermo Fisher Cloud, in lieu of receiving the data on CD with your shipment.
How to order
Order standard gene synthesis online
Standard gene synthesis uses our highly automated process with turnaround times starting at just 9 business days, depending on sequence length (quicker options available). It is appropriate for most constructs with uncomplicated secondary structure and without direct/indirect repeats or long polypurine/polypyrimidine runs. Like all GeneArt Gene Synthesis services, standard gene synthesis includes the following Invitrogen components to help assure that your construct meets all of your research, quality, and documentation requirements.
- Configure your project on your own in our online portal
- Fast and easy project design
- Instant overview of project history
- Complete documentation
If you are new to GeneArt Gene Synthesis, check out our online ordering quick start guide and our gene synthesis tutorials.
GeneArt Gene Synthesis production times
It is important to note that genes are made-to-order products and can show variations in producibility, depending on the complexity of the DNA sequence. Typical production times are met for > 88% of genes produced. Production time is now faster by 2 days for genes up to 7 kb and by 9 days for genes between 7 – 9 kb. Production time is the number of business days required to synthesize genes in our manufacturing facility. Delivery time is in addition to production time and depends on the destination of the shipment.
||Typical production time (business days)
*Valid for standard gene synthesis (non-complex, GC content 10–80%). For complex sequences, production times will be longer and these will be communicated prior to production..
**Subject to sequence assessment. Order must be placed by 3:00 p.m. CET.
***We will respond to your email in a 24hr time frame. Please use our Sequence Submission Form to transfer your sequence.
Please note: Rarely, requested sequences are found to be toxic and/or genetically unstable. These production times are only valid for nontoxic sequences that are genetically stable in E. coli.
For researchers who need long custom DNA constructs for pharmaceutical development (e.g. viral genomes) or for metabolic engineering, pathway engineering, or synthetic biology, we offer a fast, reliable, and economic solution—our proprietary and completely in-house GeneArt DNA synthesis and assembly services.
- High-throughput gene synthesis with a capacity of >8.5 Mbp per month (fast and reliable production of DNA pieces for assembly)
- Expert design and assembly technologies and process expertise for the assembly of constructs from 10 kb to several hundred kilobases, with timelines starting from 25 business days
- Robust technologies to build DNA constructs with highest complexity
- Sanger sequencing and next-generation sequencing offer flexible solutions for sequence verification and final QC
- Proven track record of reliable and timely production for long and complex constructs, with dozens of constructs built each year
- Proprietary technologies to build high-quality gene fragments up to 3 kb, and assembly kits that enable do-it-yourself construction and assembly
Learn more about (Sub) genome size and long gene synthesis
Why choose GeneArt Gene Synthesis
- Flexible, custom process: Obtain the exact sequence you need in the vector of your choice—including challenging, complex constructs, and custom vectors.
- Maximized protein yield: Optional sequence processing with GeneOptimizer software generates sequence variants with enhanced mRNA stability and translational efficiency.
- Rapid synthesis and assembly: Standard turnaround times start at 10 business days (accelerated options available).
- Economical: The cost of the GeneArt Gene Synthesis service rivals costs that would be incurred to purchase the oligonucleotides and molecular biology reagents required for gene synthesis, and outsourcing your gene synthesis and cloning means you can focus on your research.
- Excellent accuracy: All custom synthesized genes are sequenced as part of our ISO 9001:2015–certified quality management system; we only ship constructs with exact sequence agreement.
- Multiple options: We can synthesize ready-to-clone linear fragments, synthetic genes in circular plasmids, complete vectors, and more. Compare all gene synthesis options
- "GeneArt it": Save time and labor by outsourcing your gene synthesis and cloning so you can focus on your research.
Gene synthesis is a fast, simple alternative to traditional cloning
Whether you have limited cloning experience or simply want to save time, the GeneArt Gene Synthesis service helps you move your ideas from the planning stage to the laboratory more quickly. Benefit from our experience in successfully producing over 180,000 constructs for customers as diverse as large pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology start-ups, and basic research institutions. The comparison shown below highlights the time and effort saved compared to traditional cloning.
GeneArt Gene Synthesis process
Submitted DNA sequences are designed by our team of highly skilled scientists to include/exclude restriction enzyme sites and translation elements as requested, and are optionally optimized using our GeneOptimizer software for maximum protein production.
Oligonucleotides synthesized in-house, with maximum sequence accuracy, serve as the building blocks for custom gene synthesis.
Genes are assembled using our GeneAssembler process, which facilitates high-throughput gene assembly on an industrial scale for rapid order fulfilment. Using our GeneObserver online tracking system, you can access detailed information 24 hours a day about your order as it progresses through our synthesis process.
Constructs are cloned into one of our standard cloning vectors, or you can specify your own custom vector by adding a subcloning service (additional fees will apply)
All constructs are sequence-verified; only those that match the requested sequence 100% are shipped. The DNA is delivered as 5 µg lyophilized plasmid DNA in microcentrifuge tube
Quality of every gene construct is controlled as part of our ISO 9001:2015-certified quality management system, which helps ensure reliability and reproducibility. A detailed synthesis report including plasmid map, sequence alignment, and restriction map is provided with each construct.
Up to a 100-fold increase in expression
The GeneOptimizer process has been shown to help deliver large increases in protein yield via a combination of factors that stabilize mRNA and maximize translation efficacy (see figure). Efficacy has been proven in a large comparative gene expression study (Multiparameter RNA and Codon Optimization: A Standardized Tool to Assess and Enhance Autologous Mammalian Gene Expression Fath et al., 2011 PLoS ONE).
Comparative expression analysis of wild type vs. an optimized human gene. Western blot analysis using α-His antibody. Expression levels of 2 independent transfections per wild type and optimized construct are displayed, showing a 3-fold difference in expression in this particular analysis. Standardization is based on endogenous protein.
Save time with the new express cloning service
Using an alternative production procedure with pre-prepared expression vectors, we can clone your GeneArt synthesized genes directly into selected expression plasmids, saving 4–5 business days compared to the standard workflow with cloning into pMx series vector first.
Turnaround time for expression-ready genes starts at 11 business days (depending on the length of your gene). Adding the gene synthesis express upgrade cuts an additional 2 days, so it is possible to get a turnaround time of 9 business days for your cloned, expression-ready gene.
Learn more about our express cloning service
Comprehensive genome editing and engineering solutions