A western blot of a dilution series of Jurkat lysate (10 µg to 4 ng) was probed with an anti-GAPDH primary antibody followed by a Qdot® 625 Donkey Anti-Rabbit Secondary Antibody. The blot was imaged on the E-Gel® Imager. When compared to a duplicate western blot detected using ECL followed by imaging on the Fuji FLA-9000 image scanner, the sensitivity was comparable.
The Invitrogen™ E-Gel™ Imager is a compact, affordable, easy-to-use imaging system for stained gels and Invitrogen WesternDot™ 625 probe–stained western blots. Equipped with a high-resolution digital camera, the E-Gel system can be used to image gels incorporating fluorescent stains (e.g., ethidium bromide and Invitrogen™ SYBR™ stains) or colorimetric stains (Invitrogen™ Coomassie™ and silver stains). Additionally, you can image western blots detected with the WesternDot 625 detection kit reagents, avoiding the need for film processing. Setup is simple, and the system features intuitive software for band analysis.
High-quality imaging from a variety of gel types
The E-Gel Imager is designed for the documentation and densitometric analysis of stained nucleic acids and proteins in agarose and polyacrylamide gels, including E-Gel® agarose gels and Invitrogen™ Novex™ NuPAGE™ acrylamide gels. In addition, the E-Gel Imager may be used to image western blots that have been probed with WesternDot 625 secondary antibodies.
Each E-Gel Imager includes a camera hood and your choice of interchangeable bases:
- Blue Light Base—ideal for DNA stains such as Invitrogen™ SYBR™ Safe stain and Invitrogen™ SYBR™ Green stain, as well as for E-Gel EX agarose gels
- UV Light Base—best for ethidium bromide–stained gels
- E-Gel Adaptor Base—use with the Invitrogen™ E-Gel Go!™ System or Invitrogen™ E-Gel™ iBase™/E-Gel™ Safe Imager System for real-time monitoring of gel progress
You may use either the Blue Light Base or the UV Light Base to image stained protein gels (including Invitrogen™ product line such as SimplyBlue™ Safe, SilverQuest™ Silver, SYPRO™ Ruby, and Coomassie™ blue stains) by using the E-Ge Imager White-Light Conversion Screen
Filter choice for optimum signal capture
Your choice of three interchangeable filters allows even greater flexibility to capture images from various stains—the orange “universal” filter; a green filter optimal for SYBR Green and SYBR Safe stains and for E-Gel EX agarose gels; and an optional red filter for higher resolution when using Invitrogen™ Molecular Probes™ Qdot™ 625 probes.
Every E-Gel Imager camera hood comes with a pre-installed orange (universal) filter. Users may remove the orange filter and replace with either a green or red filter, depending on the stain used.
E-Gel Imager System with:
UV Light Base
Blue Light Base
E-Gel Adaptor Base
|Nucleic acids||Agarose (
|Proteins||Polyacrylamide gels||Colorimetric stains3||✓✓✓✓||✓✓✓✓|
|Western blots||Qdot® detection5||✓✓✓✓|
- SYBR stains (i.e., SYBR Green, SYBR Safe, and SYBR Gold stains) are excited most optimally with blue light. If using UV light to excite SYBR stains, the E-Gel Imager UV/SYBR Filter will also be required.
- E-Gel gels may be visualized on the UV Light Base (ethidium bromide, SYBR Safe, or SYBR
Gold stainedgels), Blue Light Base (SYBR Safe or SYBR Gold stainedgels), or E-Gel Adaptor Base (SYBR Safe or SYBR Gold stainedgels). If you’re using the E-Gel Adaptor Base, an E-Gel iBase and an E-Gel Safe Imager (or combo kit of those items) will also be required.
- The E-Gel Imager White-Light Conversion Screen is required for viewing DNA gels stained with SilverQuest Silver Stain for DNA, and protein gels stained with SimplyBlue Safe Stain, SilverQuest Silver Stain, and Coomassie Blue Stain.
- Protein gels with stains such as SYPRO® Ruby may be visualized on the E-Gel Imager System with the UV Light Base.
- For higher-resolution imaging results, the E-Gel Imager Qdot 625 Filter may be used for imaging western blots probed with Qdot probes, such as WesternDot 625 secondary antibodies with Invitrogen™ VIVID™ technology.
E-Gel Imager Software
The Invitrogen™ product line such as GelQuant™ Express Analysis Software and GelCapture™ Acquisition Software applications integrate seamlessly with the E-Gel Imager System to provide you with all the applications, functions, and tools for analyzing captured images and data, including densitometric analysis (based on a standard). Both software applications are included with each E-Gel Imager System.
- Find out more about the E-Gel Imager Software applications
Excellent detection of target proteins with WesternDot® 625 secondary antibodies
The E-Gel® Imager (with either the orange or red filter) can image WesternDot® secondary antibody–probed blots with sensitivity that is comparable to that observed using enhanced chemiluminescence (ECL)–based western blot detection. WesternDot® secondary antibodies incorporate Qdot® probes enhanced with VIVID® technology, which results in a brighter signal than with the previous-generation Qdot® reagents.
- Faster time-to-results—eliminate cumbersome HRP and ECL optimization
- Cost savings—image the blot directly; no more films to process
- Blot signals stable for weeks to months—obtain multiple exposures without significant reduction in signal
Learn more about WesternDot® 625 secondary antibodies:
Western blot detection using (A) WesternDot® secondary antibodies utilizes a more streamlined protocol and results in a more stable signal compared to (B) ECL detection.
|Dimensions (W x D x H)||Hood (20.3 x 28.4 x 36.5 cm)|
|Base (21.4 x 30.4 x 11.9 cm)|
|Viewing dimensions (W x D)||12 x 15 cm|
|Excitation light source||UV light–312 nm|
|Blue light–470 nm|
|Power||110 or 220 VAC; 50–60 Hz|
|Resolution||1,296 (H) x 964(V); 1.3 megapixels|
|Dynamic range||56.77 DB|
|Exposure time||0.01 milliseconds to 10 seconds|
|Super bright lens||F/1.4 improved lens|
|Optical zoom 6-12 mm|
|Field of view||11 x 14 cm|
|Emission filter||Orange filter (ethidium bromide and SYBR® Safe DNA Gel Stain)|
|Green filter (Fluorescein, SYBR® Gold, SYBR® Green)|
|Red filter (Qdot® 625)|
|Image capture||GelCapture™ Acquisition Software
|1D image analysis||GelQuant™ Express Analysis Software
|Operating system||Windows® XP Professional (English version, SP3, 32-bit), OR
Windows® 7 Professional (English version, 32-bit), Windows 8.1
|Processor||Intel® Core™2 Duo, 1.8 GHz|
|Memory||Minimum 4 GB RAM|
- NEW Nucleic Acid Purification and Analysis Support Center: Find tips, troubleshooting help, and resources for your nucleic acid purification & analysis applications.
- Manuals & Protocols
- E-Gel Imager System & Software FAQs