Just what stem cells need. Nothing they don’t.
Starting with the original formulation, Gibco Essential 8 Medium is our most defined and consistent feeder-free medium for induced pluripotent stem cell culture. It has been optimized for a wide variety of applications to help researchers achieve ultimate control over their PSC culture systems.
Need help? Download brochure
Essential 8 Resources
|PSC maintenance and expansion
||Essential 8 Medium
- Consistent—no BSA reducing variability compared to existing feeder-free culture media
- Cost effective—economical and scalable PSC culture compared to other feeder-free media
- Robust—reliable and consistent cultures with a xeno-free, cGMP defined medium
|Flexible feeding schedule
||Essential 8 Flex Medium
- Eliminate daily feeding—Stabilized FGF2 enables maintenance of pluripotency over a 2-day period without feeding cells and without adjustments to your typical culture protocol
- Easy to transition—Same set-up, applications, and protocol as the original Essential 8 formulations
- Proven—Based on the original Essential 8 formulation, maintains pluripotency and normal karyotypes in long-term culture
|Embryoid body formation and differentiation
||Essential 6 Medium
- Flexibility—provides a flexible format where the levels of TGFB and bFGF can be adjusted
- Supported embryoid body formation—does not contain bFGF which inhibits embryoid body formation and differentiation
- Increased reprogramming efficiency—does not contain TFGB which has a negative effect on reprogramming efficiency
|Essential 8 Medium + RevitaCell Supplement
- Minimize the impact of stress—RevitaCell Supplement supports cells in stressful applications through a more specific ROCK inhibitor
- Non-addictive—Shown to have a non-addictive impact on downstream cell utility unlike other ROCK inhibitors
- Expanded applications—Enabling use of Essential 8 medium in applications where cells need additional support
|Adaptation from feeder-based media
- Confidently transition—adapt cells from feeder-dependent to feeder-free culture system with minimal effort and maximum cell viability
- Physiologically relevant—expand cells with minimal differentiation
- Scalable—passage stem cell lines as single cells with no impact to genetic stability
Minimize the impact of stress – RevitaCell Supplement supports cells in stressful applications through a more specific ROCK inhibitor
Non-addictive – Shown to have a non-addictive impact on downstream cell utility unlike other ROCK inhibitors
Expanded applications – Enabling use of Essential 8 medium in applications where cells need additional support
The Essential 8 Media system and accompanying reagents provide the most defined and consistent culture conditions for pluripotent stem cells. Each of the recommended reagents across the following workflow is defined and xenofree, allowing for consistent results every time. Below is an example of a workflow advancing from reprogramming to differentiation utilizing the Essential 8 Media system.
For research use only. Not for use in diagnostic procedures. Essential 8 and Essential 6 are trademarks of Cellular Dynamics International, Inc.