Figure 1. StemFlex Medium supports up to 2-fold faster recovery following gene editing. PSCs expanded in various media formulations were singularized using Gibco TrypLE Select reagent and subjected to delivery of a Cas9 protein/HPRT guide RNA complex via electroporation. Upon seeding at 100,000 viable cells/well in the absence of ROCK inhibitor it was shown that StemFlex Medium supported optimal recovery from this stressful event.
StemFlex Medium for Robust Feeder-Free PSC Culture
Designed for better everything
Gibco StemFlex Medium supports the robust expansion of feeder-free pluripotent stem cells (PSCs) and is optimized to support novel applications, including single-cell passaging, gene editing, and reprogramming.
- Superior performance—better cell survival compared to mTeSR1
- Maintains FGF2 activity—maintain pluripotency more consistently and on a weekend-free feeding schedule
- Choice of reagents—switch between the matrix and passaging reagents that are best suited for your application
StemFlex Medium is manufactured under cGMP conditions.
Try it today: Free StemFlex Medium samples
Get superior performance and solve today’s stem cell challenges with
Test your knowledge with the Stem Cell Challenge Quiz
Today’s top stem cell challenges—solve them all with
- Aberrant differentiation due to unstable growth factors
- Slow and variable recovery rates post-passaging
- Poor cell survival following single cell dissociation
- Poor cell survival following cryopreservation
- Challenging workflow schemes required to transition from richer media systems
- Challenging positive selection and propagation of iPSCs following reprogramming due to small size of colonies
- Requirement of daily feeding and maintenance upon addition of PSC Medium
- Poor reprogramming efficiency for traditional media that include BSA
- Poor cell survival post gene editing
- Aberrant differentiation upon expansion post gene editing
- Poor clonal cell survival post gene editing
- Aberrant differentiation upon expansion of PSCs
- Incompatibility with downstream differentiation workflows
- Inconsistent CRISPR editing in stem cells
Solve all of these challenges with StemFlex Medium. Try it for free today ›
Discover superior performance with StemFlex Medium
Faster recovery following gene editing
Superior clonal expansion following single-cell passaging
Figure 2. StemFlex Medium supports PSCs in recovery from flow sorting, demonstrating as much as 5-fold improvement in clonal expansion following single-cell passaging in the absence of ROCK inhibitor. PSCs expanded in StemFlex Medium on the rhLaminin-521 substrate for >3 passages were singularized using TrypLE Select reagent. They were then subjected to flow cytometric sorting to isolate live pluripotent stem cells (Tra1-60+/propidium iodide (PI)-negative) and were seeded at 1, 3, or 5 cells/well in a 96-well plate. Following plating, cells were fed with fresh medium every 3 days, and the percentage of wells achieving >5% confluency by day 14 was assessed via whole-well imaging on the IncuCyte ZOOM system. These data indicate that StemFlex Medium provides superior performance in the cells’ recovery from this stressful event.
Improved reprogramming workflow and robust colony formation
Figure 3. StemFlex Medium provides an improved workflow and robust colony formation for easy clone selection following reprogramming of somatic cells. Human dermal fibroblasts were reprogrammed using the Invitrogen CytoTune-iPS 2.0 Sendai Reprogramming Kit. Beginning on day 8 (upon introduction of the stem cell medium per the standard workflow), cells were fed either daily with mTeSR1 Medium or every other day using the StemFlex Medium system. (A) Robust colony formation was observed for the StemFlex Medium system. (B) Improved reprogramming efficiency was also observed for all three donors fed every other day using StemFlex Medium, relative to mTeSR1 cultures on a daily feed schedule.
The newest stem cell medium from the Gibco brand, StemFlex Medium, is the only medium designed to deliver superior performance in the innovative applications and technologies used in today’s stem cell research. StemFlex Medium is uniquely formulated to maximize performance in today’s more challenging applications that have traditionally stressed pluripotent stem cell cultures, such as reprogramming, single-cell passaging, and gene editing. In addition to core performance enhancements, it also delivers the modern conveniences of a flexible feeding schedule (including weekend-free options) and the ability to switch between the matrix and passaging reagents best suited for a chosen application. StemFlex Medium is provided in a convenient two-component kit (450 mL basal medium & 50 mL supplement), and when used with Geltrex Matrix, provides a cost-effective, robust system for superior feeder-free culture of human PSCs. StemFlex Medium enables long-term feeder-free culture of PSCs without karyotypic abnormalities and supports the ability to differentiate into all three germ layers (Figures 1 and 2).
Figure 4. StemFlex Medium provides long-term maintenance of normal PSC properties. Culture displays normal morphology (left); a normal karyotype is observed after 20 passages on a weekend-free flexible feeding schedule (right).
Figure 5. Confirmation of tri-lineage differentiation potential. Following 22 passages on the weekend-free feeding schedule, iPSCs expanded in StemFlex Medium maintain the ability to differentiate into (A) mesoderm, as shown by expression of TNNT2 following differentiation using the PSC Cardiomyocyte Differentiation Kit, (B) endoderm, as shown by the CXCR4+/PDGFRalpha– phenotype following differentiation using the PSC Definitive Endoderm Induction Kit, and (C) ectoderm, as shown by expression of Sox1 and nestin following differentiation using the PSC Neural Induction Medium.
Traditionally, pluripotent stem cell culture has required daily feeding schedules to maintain pluripotency. This frequent handling of cells has created additional challenges for researchers, including the increased potential for errors and contamination, and increased variation and contamination should multiple users handle a single culture. As with the applications mentioned above, protocol recommendations have been developed to ease some of these challenges with traditional culture systems. However, these recommendations are not well suited for continued, long-term use as they may have an impact on downstream pluripotency. StemFlex Medium (along with Gibco Essential 8 Flex medium) enables a truly weekend-free feeding schedule by consistently maintaining FGF2 activity—a key factor for pluripotency (Figures 6–8).
Figure 7. Long-term maintenance of pluripotency in weekend-free feeding. PSCs maintain expression of self-renewal factors using StemFlex Medium for 21 passages in wells coated with GelTrex matrix. The cells were stained for pluripotency markers using the Invitrogen PSC 4-Marker Immunocytochemistry Kit.
Figure 8. Recommended weekend-free feeding schedule. Unlike traditional PSC media, StemFlex Medium eliminates the need to manage cultures daily, enabling a truly weekend-free schedule for expansion and maintenance of PSCs.
It is not uncommon for complementary reagents used within a PSC culture system (like matrices and passaging reagents) to have an impact on performance. Traditional PSC media are typically only compatible with one matrix and passaging method, which can require significant protocol adjustments or less-than-desirable results. StemFlex Medium offers three-way usage flexibility, not only allowing you to decide what matrix and passaging reagent will best fit your needs but also giving you flexibility in your feeding schedule.
Table 1. Flexibility to choose the best matrix and passaging reagent.
|Matrix||Geltrex LDEV-Free Reduced Growth Factor Basement Membrane Matrix||Replacement for Matrigel matrix
An ideal economical choice for expansion and maintenance of PSCs
|Vitronectin Recombinant Human Protein, Truncated (VTN-N)||Applications requiring a more lean, defined matrix|
|Recombinant Human Laminin-521 (rhLaminin-521)||Recommended for highest performance in stressful applications including gene editing and single-cell passaging|
|Passaging reagent||Versene Solution||Clumped-cell passaging|
|StemPro Accutase Cell Dissociation Reagent||2- to 3-cell clusters|
|TrypLE Select Enzyme, with or without RevitaCell Supplement||Single-cell passaging|
StemFlex Medium Scientific Poster Challenge
* No purchase necessary. This promotion is available only to life science professionals 21 years or older in the US (excluding Puerto Rico) and Canada (excluding Quebec) who submit a scientific poster showing the use of StemFlex Medium in research via the web form located at thermofisher.com/stemflexposter. Submissions relating to diagnostic use or any non-research use are not eligible for this promotion. All posters must reflect the original thoughts of the author(s), and have no prior ownership or copyright restrictions. Submissions must be received no later than December 31, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. US Central Time, or until gift supplies are depleted, whichever comes first. Healthcare professionals may not participate in this promotion. Each eligible participant who submits a poster will receive a StemFlex Medium T-shirt (retail value approx. $18 USD). Limit one T-shirt per eligible poster submitted. Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery of the T-shirt. By submitting a poster, you warrant that you are not prohibited by employment, contract, or law from accepting a gift from Life Technologies. One free gift per person. Offer void in where prohibited, licensed or restricted by federal, state, provincial, or local laws or regulation or agency/institutional policy. Other restrictions may apply.
For Research Use Only. Not for use in diagnostic procedures.