As academic labs around the globe strive to accelerate their breakthrough discoveries, they need the ability to quickly and accurately identify the microstructures of an ever-larger number of samples. They also need a versatile scanning electron microscope (SEM) that goes beyond the limits of optical microscopes that requires little training or expert oversite and allows these labs to reserve their high-end, floor-model SEM for more complicated analyses.
We’re pleased to announce that our newly released sixth-generation Phenom Pro/ProX Desktop SEM bridges this gap. For academic research labs that need fast and accurate microstructure analysis, the Thermo Scientific Phenom Pro G6 offers even higher productivity at a cost-effective price. And customers who need chemical composition data can get built-in energy-dispersive X-ray (EDS) analysis with the Phenom ProX G6.
Yet how does our sixth-generation desktop SEM go beyond other SEMs on the market, and why should you consider this investment? Here are six ways in which a Phenom Pro/ProX G6 can help your lab achieve a greater number of breakthroughs, and ultimately more recognition and funding:
- It generates fast results. The Phenom Pro/ProX G6 generates a high-resolution image in just 30 seconds, compared to the two minutes typically required using other SEMs. Samples can be analyzed in as little as 2 minutes versus the 5 to 15 minutes that’s typical with competitive options.
- It’s easy to use.The Phenom Pro/ProX G6 includes an intuitive, 24-inch diagonal user interface that displays full-screen SEM images. The SEM provides a unified working distance for all detectors. What’s more, the instrument can be preset for fast, high-quality results. There are eight different sample holders available for quick and easy sample loading. High resolution of up to 6nm can be achieved at relatively low voltage, enabling a large range of applications without any adjustments.
- It can be extended to more users. The Phenom Pro/ProX G6 is an intuitive desktop SEM that requires little training and no expert oversight, making it the perfect solution for universities that want to extend electron microscopy to a greater number of staff and students.
- It’s versatile and stable. The Phenom Pro/ProX G6 is small enough to fit on a desktop, making it possible to place the SEM in compact spaces where others won’t fit. The robust system generates reliable results in almost any environment including on-the-road mobile laboratories, and even in places with a lot of external vibrations such as skyscrapers or marine vessels.
- It combines high-quality images with low maintenance. Unlike other SEMs, which use tungsten as their electron source, the Phenom Pro/ProX G6 comes with a Cerium hexaboride (CeB6) electron source. Not only does a CeB6 source generate higher-brightness images, but it typically provides more than 15 times the service life of a tungsten source with minimal risk of contamination.
- It simplifies EDS analysis. Researchers who need chemical composition in addition to structure analysis can choose the Phenom ProX G6 for powerful EDS analysis. The Phenom ProX G6 features an integrated EDS detector for high-quality results. It also includes a step-by-step workflow that guides users through the entire data acquisition and analysis process, extending EDS analysis to a broader number of users.
To learn more about the Phenom Pro/ProX G6 Desktop SEM, please visit our Desktop SEM webpage.
Alexander Bouman is a product marketing manager for desktop SEM at Thermo Fisher Scientific.
Speak with an expert: https://www.thermofisher.com/blog/microscopy/speak-with-an-expert/