||Neurobasal media represents a full line of basal media formulated to sustain optimal culture of neurons. Our Neurobasal media must be supplemented with either a serum-free supplement (such as B-27 Supplement or N-2 Supplement), or serum, and 0.5 mM L-glutamine, or GlutaMAX™-I Supplement.
Recently, a publication reporting excitotoxicity in mature hippocampal neurons purportedly due to Neurobasal media has come to our attention. Please keep in mind the following as you make your purchasing decisions:
- There has been NO formulation change to Gibco Neurobasal Media.
- For studies involving embryonic, fetal, or early post-natal hippocampal or cortical neurons, the cysteine level in Neurobasal media will have no effect due to the underdevelopment of NMDA receptors in these types of neurons.
- If you are concerned about the cysteine levels in Neurobasal media for your current experiment, please visit our custom media page to inquire about a custom formulation of Neurobasal media.
If you have any questions regarding your experiment, Neurobasal media, please contact us for more information.
Choose the right Neurobasal media for your experimental needs from the list below:
|| Recommended Products
|For Prenatal & Fetal Neurons
|For Postnatal & Adult Brain Neurons
|For Tumor Cell Lines
|No Glucose / No Sodium Pyruvate
|No Phenol Red
New Publications on Neurobasal Product Usage
- Prestegarden L et al. (2010) Glioma cell populations grouped by different cell type markers drive brain tumor growth. Cancer Res 70(11):4274-9. Product usage: Culture of glioma cell lines and primary cells from human glioblastoma (GBM) biopsies.
- Yagi H et al. (2010) Lysosome-associated membrane protein 1 is a major S SEA-1-carrier protein in mouse neural stem cells. Glycobiology 20(8):976-81. Product usage: Culture and differentiation of neural stem cells derived from mouse E14.5 embryos.
- Ma J et al. (2010) Neuroprotective effects of C-type natriuretic peptide on rat retinal ganglion cells. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 51(7):3544-53. Product usage: Culture of rat retinal ganglion cells (RGC) to study the neuroprotective effect of natriuretic peptide.
- Ransom CB et al. (2010) Postdepolarization potentiation of GABAA receptors: a novel mechanism regulating tonic conductance in hippocampal neurons. J Neurosci 30(22):7672-84. Product usage: Culture of primary hippocampal neurons isolated from Sprague-Dawley rats for use in patch-clamp studies.
- Cheung CC, Yang C, Berger T et al. (2010) Identification of BERP (brain-expressed RING finger protein) as a p53 target gene that modulates seizure susceptibility through interacting with GABA(A) receptors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107(26):11883–11888. Product usage: Culture of primary cortical neurons isolated from mouse E17.5 embryos.
- Lian I, Kim J, Okazawa H et al. (2010) The role of YAP transcription coactivator in regulating stem cell self-renewal and differentiation. Genes Dev 24(11):1106–1118. Product usage: Culture and differentiation of mouse embryonic stem cell lines.
- Peltier DC, Simms A, Farmer JR et al. (2010) Human neuronal cells possess functional cytoplasmic and TLR-mediated innate immune pathways influenced by phosphatidylinositol-3 kinase signaling. J Immunol 184: 7010–7021. Product usage: Culture of primary cortical neurons isolated from Sprague-Dawley E18 rats.