Lipofectamine LTX Reagent is a proprietary, animal-origin free formulation for the transfection of DNA into eukaryotic cells with low cytotoxicity. This reference provides a recommended procedure to transfect plasmid DNA into MOLT-4, human T lymphoblast cells (ATCC No. CRL-1582) using Lipofectamine LTX Reagent.
Important Guidelines for Transfection
Follow these important guidelines when transfecting MOLT-4 cells using Lipofectamine LTX Reagent:
- Maintain the same seeding conditions between experiments. Use low-passage cells; make sure cells are healthy and greater than 90% viable before transfection.
- Transfection can be performed both in the presence or absence of serum. Test serum-free media for compatibility with Lipofectamine LTX Reagent.
- We recommend Opti-MEM I Reduced Serum Medium (Cat. No. 31985-070) to dilute the DNA Lipofectamine LTX Reagent before complexing.
- Visit www.lifetechnologies.com/transfection or contact Technical Services for other specialized transfection protocols.
- Lipofectamine LTX Reagent performs well with vector-based RNAi experiments. For siRNA and Stealth RNAi transfections, we recommend Lipofectamine RNAiMAX. Go to www.lifetechnologies.com/RNAi or contact Technical Service for more information.
Have the following reagents on hand before beginning:
- MOLT-4 cells maintained in RPMI Medium 1640 (Cat. No. 21870-076) supplemented with 4 mM L-Glutamine (Cat. No. 25030-081), 10% fetal bovine serum (Cat. No.16000-044). Grow cells at 37o C with 5% CO2.
- Plasmid DNA of interest.
- Lipofectamine LTX Reagent, and PLUS™ Reagent (store at 4°C)
- Opti-MEM I Reduced Serum Media
- Appropriate tissue culture plates and supplies
Use this procedure to transfect plasmid DNA into MOLT-4 cells in a 24-well format (for other formats, see Scaling Up or Down Transfections, below). All amounts and volumes are given on a per well basis.
- The day of transfection plate 1.0-2.0 x105 cells per well in 0.5 ml of complete growth medium. .
- For each well of cells to be transfected, dilute 1.0 μg of DNA in 100 μl of Opti-MEM I Reduced Serum Media without serum.
- Add 1.0 μl PLUS™ Reagent (a 1:1 ratio to DNA) directly to the diluted DNA. Mix gently and incubate 5-15 minutes at room temperature.
- For each well of cells, add 2.25-3.75 μl of Lipofectamine LTX Reagent into the above diluted Opti-MEM:DNA solution, mix gently and incubate 30 minutes at room temperature to form DNA- Lipofectamine LTX Reagent complexes.
- After 30 minute incubation, add 100 μl of the DNA- Lipofectamine LTX Reagent complexes directly to each well containing cells and mix gently by rocking the plate back and forth.
- Complexes do not have to be removed following transfection. Incubate the cells at 37oC in a CO2 incubator for 18-24 hours post-transfection before assaying for transgene expression.
|Culture vessel|| Surface
|Volume plating medium||Cells per well|| Volume
|96-well||0.3 cm2||100 μl||2.0 x 104||20 μl||200 ng||0.45 - 0.75 μl||0.2 μl|
|48-well||1 cm2||200 μl||4.0 x 104||40 μl||400 ng||0.9 - 1.5 μl||0.4 μl|
|24-well||2 cm2||500 μl||1.0 x 105||100 μl||1.0 μg||2.25 - 3.75 μl||1.0 μl|
|12-well||4 cm2||1 ml||2.0 x 105||200 μl||2.0 μg||4.5 - 7.5 μl||2.0 μl|
|6-well||10 cm2||2 ml||5.0 x 105||500 μl||5.0 μg||11.25 - 18.75 μl||5.0 μl|