Lipofectamine LTX Reagent is a proprietary, animal-origin free formulation for the transfection of DNA into eukaryotic cells with low cytotoxicity. This reference provides a recommended procedure to transfect plasmid DNA into PC-3, human prostate adenocarcinoma cells (ATCC No. CRL-1435) using Lipofectamine LTX Reagent.
Important Guidelines for Transfection
Follow these important guidelines when transfecting PC-3 cells using Lipofectamine LTX Reagent:
- Maintain the same seeding conditions between experiments. Use low-passage cells; make sure cells are healthy and greater than 90% viable before transfection.
- Transfection can be performed both in the presence or absence of serum. Test serum-free media for compatibility with Lipofectamine LTX Reagent.
- We recommend Opti-MEM I Reduced Serum Medium (Cat. No. 31985-070) to dilute the DNA Lipofectamine LTX Reagent before complexing.
- Using PLUS™ Reagent (Cat. No. 11514-015) enhances transfection performance in NTera2Cells
- Visit www.lifetechnologies.com/genedelivery or contact Technical Services for other specialized transfection protocols.
- Lipofectamine LTX Reagent performs well with vector-based RNAi experiments. For siRNA and Stealth RNAi transfections, we recommend Lipofectamine RNAiMAX. Go to www.lifetechnologies.com/RNAi or contact Technical Service for more information.
Have the following reagents on hand before beginning:
- PC-3 cells maintained in F-12 Nutrient Mixture (Ham) (Cat. No. 11765-054) supplemented with 10% fetal bovine serum (Cat No. 16000-044). Grow cells at 37o C with 5% CO2.
- Plasmid DNA of interest.
- Lipofectamine LTX Reagent
- Opti-MEM I Reduced Serum Media
- Appropriate tissue culture plates and supplies
Use this procedure to transfect plasmid DNA into PC-3 cells in a 24-well format (for other formats, see Scaling Up or Down Transfections, below). All amounts and volumes are given on a per well basis.
- The day before transfection, trypsinize and count the cells. Plate 0.5-1.0x105 cells per well in 0.5 ml of complete growth medium. Cell density should be 50-80% confluent on the day of transfection.
- (Optional) The day of transfection, remove growth medium from cells and replace with 0.5 ml of complete growth medium.
- For each well of cells to be transfected, dilute 0.5 μg of DNA in 100 μl of Opti-MEM I Reduced Serum Media without serum.
- If using PLUS™ Reagent: Mix PLUS™ Reagent gently before use, then add 0.5 μl PLUS™ Reagent (a 1:1 ratio to DNA) directly to the diluted DNA. Mix gently and incubate 5-15 minutes at room temperature.
- For each well of cells, add 1.25-2.25 μl of Lipofectamine LTX Reagent into the above diluted Opti-MEM:DNA solution, mix gently and incubate 30 minutes at room temperature to form DNA- Lipofectamine LTX Reagent complexes.
- After 30 minute incubation, add 100 μl of the DNA- Lipofectamine LTX Reagent complexes directly to each well containing cells and mix gently by rocking the plate back and forth.
- Complexes do not have to be removed following transfection. Incubate the cells at 37oC in a CO2 incubator for 18-24 hours post-transfection before assaying for transgene expression.
|Culture vessel|| Surface
|Volume plating medium||Cells per well|| Volume
|96-well||0.3 cm2||100 μl||2.0 x 104||20 μl||100 ng||0.25 - 0.45 μl||0.1 μl|
|48-well||1 cm2||200 μl||4 x 104||40 μl||200 ng||0.5 - 0.9 μl||0.2 μl|
|24-well||2 cm2||500 μl||1.0 x 105||100 μl||500 ng||1.25 - 2.25 μl||0.5 μl|
|12-well||4 cm2||1 ml||2.0 x 105||200 μl||1 μg||2.5 - 5.5 μl||1.0 μl|
|6-well||10 cm2||2 ml||5.0 x 105||500 μl||2.5 μg||6.26 - 13.75 μl||2.5 μl|