The information in this website is intended only for healthcare professionals. By entering this site, you are confirming that you are a healthcare professional.
The information in this website is intended only for laboratory professionals. By entering this site, you are confirming that you are a laboratory professional.
With or without insurance, you can get a quick, personalized allergy test when it’s convenient for you.Read more >
This 4-year-old recently ate some ice cream without having a reaction—did she outgrow her milk allergy?Read more >
Everyone has their own unique combination of allergic triggers and not all of them are obvious.Read more >
Anaphylaxis, also called anaphylactic shock, is an acute, life-threatening allergic reaction.Read more >
Digestive and gastrointestinal issues are closely tied to what you eat.Read more >
Does this 8-year-old run the risk of having a severe reaction to peanuts?Read more >
Food allergies are the body’s immune system reacting to something that is normally harmless to most people–like milk or eggs.Read more >
If you suspect allergies are the cause of your symptoms, it is important to consult with your healthcare professional to get properly diagnosed.Read more >
There are options when it comes to testing to identify allergic triggers.Read more >
After eating a bowl of fruit and nut cereal, this 8-year-old was covered in large hives—what caused her reaction?Read more >
Get answers to some of the most common questions about allergy.Read more >
Tim is a curious 4-year-old boy who is getting ready to start preschool. When Tim was 2 years old, he had a reaction after eating a chocolate chip and peanut butter granola bar. Tim’s parents assumed the reaction was a peanut allergy and removed peanuts and all foods containing peanut from his diet. Tim’s healthcare professional agreed and recommended that Tim strictly avoid peanut in all forms.
Tim’s new preschool has peanut-free tables, but his mom is still nervous that he will have an anaphylactic reaction because of someone else’s peanut butter and jelly sandwich. 78% of patients sensitized to peanut may not be at risk for a systemic reaction,1 but Tim’s parents agree that he should undergo testing to know if he falls into the other 22%.
The results of the ImmunoCAPTM Peanut Component test show that Tim is likely to have localized reactions to peanut, like itching and tingling of the mouth and lips, but that he’s at a low risk for a systemic reaction. Tim may actually be allergic to birch pollen, which is cross-reactive with a protein found in peanuts. Tim’s healthcare professional suggested that he undergo an Oral Food Challenge (OFC) in her office. He passed the challenge and now it’s okay for him to eat foods made with or around peanuts. When he starts preschool, Tim doesn’t need to sit at the peanut-free table after all.
Sometimes allergy symptoms seem to come out of nowhere. Understanding what’s causing your symptoms can help you get relief now, and avoid more serious issues in the future. Testing can play an important role in your quality of life or the life of someone you love, by reducing unnecessary food avoidance and stress. Be sure to consult with your healthcare professional.
The people, places and events depicted in these photographs do not represent actual patients, nor are they affiliated in any way with the attached case study or Thermo Fisher Scientific.
1. Nicolaou N, Poorafshar M, Murray C, et al. Allergy or tolerance in children sensitized to peanut: prevalence and differentiation using component-resolved diagnostics. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2010;125(1):191-197.