The information in this website is intended only for healthcare professionals. By entering this site, you are confirming that you are a healthcare professional.
The information in this website is intended only for laboratory professionals. By entering this site, you are confirming that you are a laboratory professional.
With or without insurance, you can get a quick, personalized allergy test when it’s convenient for you.Read more >
This 4-year-old recently ate some ice cream without having a reaction—did she outgrow her milk allergy?Read more >
Everyone has their own unique combination of allergic triggers and not all of them are obvious.Read more >
Anaphylaxis, also called anaphylactic shock, is an acute, life-threatening allergic reaction.Read more >
Digestive and gastrointestinal issues are closely tied to what you eat.Read more >
Does this 8-year-old run the risk of having a severe reaction to peanuts?Read more >
Food allergies are the body’s immune system reacting to something that is normally harmless to most people–like milk or eggs.Read more >
If you suspect allergies are the cause of your symptoms, it is important to consult with your healthcare professional to get properly diagnosed.Read more >
There are options when it comes to testing to identify allergic triggers.Read more >
After eating a bowl of fruit and nut cereal, this 8-year-old was covered in large hives—what caused her reaction?Read more >
Get answers to some of the most common questions about allergy.Read more >
Do you ever feel as if you have a never-ending cold? If so, you may have a dust mite allergy. Dust mites are tiny bugs that are too small to see with the naked eye. They thrive in temperatures of 20 to 25 ºC (68 to 77 ºF), and they like humidity levels of 70 to 80%.
Dust mites live in soft materials like pillows, mattresses, bedding, upholstered furniture, carpets, soft toys and stuffed animals. And your symptoms can often get worse during or just after a cleaning. Vacuuming, sweeping and dusting can stir up dust mites, making them easier to inhale.
Dust mites allergens can easily get in your eyes or nose—some are even small enough to get into your lungs. The protein in the waste is what is inhaled and the symptoms are similar to hay fever or pollen allergy which includes:
But all of these symptoms can be caused by just about any allergy, so to learn if your symptoms are truly caused by dust mites, be sure to consult your healthcare professional.
You may be so used to dealing with your runny nose and irritated eyes that you might not consider asking for help. So, how do you know if your symptoms are caused by a dust mite allergy or not? Testing can help your healthcare professional determine what’s behind the endless sneezing and sniffles, so don’t try to manage the problem on your own. A simple blood test—together with your medical history—can help identify underlying allergen triggers, if you have an allergy. And a blood test can be done even when you are taking antihistamines.1 Knowing if you’re allergic and what you’re allergic to can help you, or a loved one, avoid or minimize symptoms.