The information in this website is intended only for healthcare professionals. By entering this site, you are confirming that you are a healthcare professional.
The information in this website is intended only for laboratory professionals. By entering this site, you are confirming that you are a laboratory professional.
Basements, bathrooms, kitchens, foggy window frames, fallen leaves, uncut grass, logs—can all be home to mold. Mold grows quickly in dark, damp places and can be found both indoors and outdoors.
They release tiny, unseen particles called spores that float in the air. Mold spores can easily get in your eyes or nose—or you breathe them in to your lungs. And if you have a mold allergy, you may experience a reaction.
Mold allergy symptoms can be similar to many other respiratory allergy symptoms, which include:
In people with a mold allergy, breathing in spores can also cause asthma symptoms or aggravate an asthma attack.1
While mold can cause symptoms year-round, they can spike during summer and fall seasons depending on where you live.
You may be so used to dealing with your runny nose and watery eyes that you might not consider asking for help. But how do you know if your symptoms are caused by a mold allergy or not? Testing can help your healthcare professional determine what’s behind the endless sneezing and sniffles, so don’t try to manage the problem on your own.
A simple blood test—together with your medical history—can help identify underlying allergen triggers, if you have an allergy. And a blood test can be done even when you are taking antihistamines.2 Knowing if you’re allergic and what you’re allergic to can help you, or a loved one, avoid or minimize symptoms.