Yeast Extracts are concentrates of the water-soluble portion of autolyzed Saccharomyces cerevisiae cells. They are derived from primary grown baker’s yeast. These animal origin-free products are suitable for use as multi-functional nutritional supplements in mammalian cell culture, microbial fermentation, and insect cell culture applications. Yeast extract provides essential water-soluble vitamins, amino acids, peptides, and carbohydrates to any medium formulation.
Related yeast extract products:
• Bacto Yeast Extract—one of the most complete and versatile fermentation supplements available. It is an important ingredient for the microbiological assay of vitamins. Yeast extract is also of value in the assay of antibiotics. B factor, a growth substance necessary for the production of rifampin in a Nocardia species, can be isolated from yeast extract.
• Bacto Yeast Extract, Technical—developed to provide products priced for the biotechnology market with acceptable clarity and growth-promoting characteristics
• Gibco Yeast Extract—developed to provide a product for the biotechnology/pharmaceutical market with acceptable clarity and growth-promoting characteristics. Media formulations containing yeast extract are specified in standard methods for various applications.
• Difco Yeast Extract UF—ultra-filtered and specifically designed for mammalian cell culture applications. With its low endotoxin level and high content of naturally occurring B vitamins, it can be used effectively to reduce the need for fetal bovine serum. It has an endotoxin level of less than or equal to 500 EU/g.
• Difco Yeast Extract Low-Dusting (LD)—designed to limit the amount of dust generated compared to other spray-dried yeast extracts.