BS(PEG)5 is a bis-succinimide ester-activated PEG compound used for crosslinking between primary amines (—NH2) in proteins and other molecules. The N
-hydroxysuccinimide ester (NHS) groups at either end of the PEG5 spacer react specifically and efficiently with lysine and N-terminal amino groups at pH 7-9 to form stable amide bonds.
Thermo Scientific No-Weigh products are specialty reagents provided in a pre-aliquoted format. The pre-weighed packaging prevents the loss of reagent reactivity and contamination over time by eliminating the repetitive opening and closing of the vial. The format enables use of a fresh vial of reagent each time, eliminating the hassle of weighing small amounts of reagents and reducing concerns over reagent stability.
Features of BS(PEG)5:
• Reactive groups: sulfo-NHS ester
• Reactive towards:
amino groups (primary amines)
• NHS esters react with—NH2 groups at pH 7-9, forming stable amide bonds
• Water-soluble; compare to non-pegylated BS3 (also soluble)
and DSS (water-insoluble)
• Membrane-impermeable, allowing for cell surface labeling
• Irreversibly crosslink proteins or peptides by flexible PEG spacer arms
• Polyethylene glycol spacer arms help maintain conjugate solubility
• Pure compound with defined structure and molecular weight, ensuring reproducible protein-modification effects
• PEG spacer provides unique advantages, including increased stability, reduced tendency toward aggregation and reduced immunogenicity
• Ideal for small molecule or peptide conjugations
Alternative Names for BS(PEG)n:
• dPEG NHS ester
• Bis-succinimide ester PEG 400Product References
Crosslinker Application Guide -- search for recent literature references for this productBioconjugate Techniques, Academic Press (Part No. 20036)Related ProductsBS(PEG)9 (PEGylated bis(sulfosuccinimidyl)suberate)BS3 (bis(sulfosuccinimidyl)suberate)
For Research Use Only. Not for use in diagnostic procedures.