The PrepFiler BTA Forensic DNA Extraction Kit has been developed for the extraction of DNA from calcified tissues (bone, tooth), as well as certain adhesive-containing samples such as cigarette butts, tape lifts, and envelope flaps. The kit enables DNA yields and purity comparable to or better than conventional phenol-chloroform-based methods, with an approximate processing time of only 2 to 3 hours.
Optimized for use with bone and tooth, as well as other adhesive-containing samples, and allows you to obtain DNA yields and purity comparable to or better than conventional phenol-chloroform-based methods
• Enables fewer tube transfers and greater overall ease of use than conventional methods, thus minimizing the opportunity for sample mix-ups or contamination
• Utilizes a simple, robust protocol that facilitates ease of implementation and training, and is more “tolerant” to a range of experience levels
• Significantly reduces processing time for bone and tooth by requiring a shorter lysis time (approximately 2 hours) compared to standard phenol-chloroform-based methods (approximately 18-48 hours)
Improved Packaging and Configuration
Several packaging and configuration improvements have been implemented for the updated PrepFiler kits:
• An additional wash buffer, PrepFiler Wash Buffer B, has now been incorporated into the kits to minimize the potential for detergent carryover from PrepFiler Wash Buffer A, which can inhibit downstream PCR applications when the maximum volume of DNA extract is used for subsequent PCR amplification.
• The kit packaging has been updated to include all reagents, including magnetic particles, in the same kit box, with a single expiration date.
• Shipping will occur at ambient temperature, and the kits can also be stored upon receipt at ambient temperature.
All plastics consumables for use with the PrepFiler kits will now only be sold separately, to provide the ordering flexibility to select only the plastics consumables needed. Those plastics include:
• PrepFiler Filter Columns for substrate removal and PrepFiler Spin Tubes for sample processing in tube format
• 2 mL Microcentrifuge Tubes and Caps for lysis steps using bone, tooth, or tape
• Non-stick RNase-free Microfuge Tubes (1.5 mL) for optional use with the manual PrepFiler workflow to process the extract after substrate removal (i.e., if the standard PrepFiler Spin Tube cap does not securely close) or for final storage of eluted DNA
For Research Use Only. Not intended for any animal or human therapeutic or diagnostic use.