Thermo Scientific Amphipol A8-35 is an amphipathic polymer ideally suited to improve solubilization and stabilization of membrane proteins while maintaining structural integrity and activity.
Features of Amphipol A8-35 include:
• Detergent-free substitute to extract and stabilize membrane proteins in aqueous solutions
• Surfactant with dense distribution of hydrophobic chains that have a high affinity for transmembrane surfaces to enable protein solubilization with minimal disruption of membrane environment
• Facilitates membrane protein structure/folding
• Suitable for protein solubilization and stabilization for single particle cryo-EM analysis
Properties of Amphipol A8-35:
• Molecular formula
• Formula weight:
∼ 9 kDa
up to 20% in water
1. Zoonens & Popot, J. Membr. Biol. 247:759-796, 2014.
2. Additional Amphipol references: www.ibpc.fr/amphipol