Gibco CTS (Cell Therapy Systems) Vitronectin (VTN-N) Recombinant Human Protein provides a defined surface for feeder-free culture of human pluripotent stem cells (PSCs). When used with CTS Essential 8 Medium (Cat. No. A2656101), CTS Vitronectin has been proven to maintain pluripotency and normal growth characteristics in multiple PSC lines. In addition, CTS Vitronectin has been shown to support PSC growth for >8 passages without any signs of karyotypic abnormalities and to maintain the ability of PSCs to differentiate into all three germ line lineages. The VTN-N variant of vitronectin supports human pluripotent stem cell attachment and survival better than wild-type vitronectin when used in conjunction with Essential 8 Medium (1).
Features of CTS Vitronectin include:
• Designed for clinical research—USP Chapter 1043* and Ph Eur 5.2.12** considered in the design
• Animal origin–free—for reduced variability and contamination risk in PSC cultures
• Optimized—designed for use with CTS Essential 8 Medium
• Consistent—supports seamless transition from RUO Vitronectin
• Traceable—documentation includes COO and COA
• Controlled—manufactured in compliance with ISO-13485
Designed for cell and gene therapy development and manufacturing
Both USP Chapter 1043 and Ph. Eur. 5.2.12 have been considered in the design of CTS Vitronectin, and this product is the only such product labeled with 'For Research Use or Manufacturing of Cell, Gene, or Tissue-Based Products. CAUTION: Not intended for direct administration to humans or animals.' Traceability documentation is provided with the product and includes a Certificate of Analysis (COA) and Certificate of Origin (COO) to support regulatory filings.
Animal origin–free system
CTS Vitronectin is animal origin–free to help reduce contamination risk and variability associated with animal-origin raw materials compared to human plasma–derived vitronectin and standard basement membrane extracts (BMEs).
Optimized and defined surface
Unlike standard BMEs, CTS Vitronectin is based on the N-variant design of vitronectin (VTN-N) from the laboratory of James Thomson for use with Essential 8 Medium and has been shown to support human pluripotent stem cell attachment and survival better than wild type vitronectin. CTS Vitronectin provides an optimal environment for feeder-free pluripotent stem cell culture.
Seamless transition from bench to clinic
PSC cultures expanded in other feeder or feeder-free systems can be transitioned to CTS Essential 8 Medium and CTS Vitronectin with minimal adaptation.
Manufacturing control and traceability
CTS Vitronectin is manufactured at a site that uses methods and controls that conform with cGMP for medical devices, 21 CFR Part 820. Our FDA-registered manufacturing sites are ISO 13485– and ISO 9001–certified. Full traceability documentation such as Certificate of Origin and Certificate of Analysis are available.
Commercialized in partnership with Cellular Dynamics International.
1. Chen G, Gulbranson DR, Hou Z, Bolin JM, Ruotti V, Probasco MD, Smuga-Otto K, Howden SE, Diol NR, Propson NE, Wagner R, Lee GO, Antosiewicz-Bourget J, Teng JM, Thomson JA. Chemically defined conditions for human iPSC derivation and culture. Nat Methods. 2011 May;8(5):424-9.
* U. S. Pharmacopeia. Chapter 1043: Ancillary materials for cell, gene, and tissue-engineered products.
** European Pharmacopeia. Chapter 5.2.12: Raw materials of biological origin for the production of cell-based and gene therapy medicinal products.
For Research Use or Manufacturing of Cell, Gene, or Tissue-Based Products. CAUTION: Not intended for direct administration into humans or animals.