Shop All Stem Cell Culture Media
StemPro™ MSC SFM XenoFree Gibco™
CTS StemPro HSC Expansion Medium consists of a liquid basal medium and a frozen supplement that is added to the basal medium at the time of use. Growth factors or cytokines are not included.
Features of CTS StemPro Expansion Medium include:
• Manufactured following cGMP for medical devices and designed to help meet regulatory requirements for ancillary materials used in cell and gene therapy manufacturing
• Superior expansion of total CD34+ cell population and enrichment of CD34+CD90+CD45RA- subset
• Maintenance of in vivo functionality as demonstrated in animal engraftment models
Designed to help meet regulatory requirements
CTS StemPro HSC Expansion Medium is manufactured in accordance with cGMP for medical devices and supported by a drug master file (DMF) and regulatory support file (RSF) to assist in global regulatory filings and approvals. The formulation is serum-free and xeno-free, and USP/EP grade components are preferentially chosen where possible. In addition, each lot undergoes quality control testing to ensure safety and performance for cell and gene therapy applications.
CD34+ cells and the CD34+CD90+CD45RA- subset are found in low proportions in mobilized peripheral blood, bone marrow, and cord blood. They are important for proper hematopoietic and immune function and are studied in a variety of research areas, including transplantation biology, stem cell biology, and hematopoietic development. CTS StemPro HSC Expansion Medium enables superior expansion of not only the total CD34+ compartment, but also enriches for CD34+CD90+CD45RA- stem cells, providing more cells to work with (see figures below).
Maintenance of functionality
Functionality of expanded HSCs is critical to success in cell and gene therapy applications. The most widely accepted method for functional testing of HSCs is engraftment in mouse models. The theory is that if human cells persist after transplantation into immunodeficient mice, the cells have demonstrated long term repopulation and differentiation capacity, which are both defining factors of stem cells. See the figure below for representative mouse model engraftment data of CD34+ cells expanded in CTS StemPro HSC Expansion Medium.
Mitomycin C (MitC)-treated Gibco CF1 Mouse Embryonic Fibroblasts (MEFs) are feeder cells that are ideal for supporting healthy undifferentiated human and mouse embryonic stem cells (ESCs) and induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs) in culture. Manufactured by MTI-GlobalStem and equivalent to MTI-GlobalStem Cat. Nos. GSC-6001M and GSC-6201M, these widely-used MEF cells are isolated from outbred CF1 mice, mitotically arrested by MitC-treatment, and tested to ensure safety and performance.
• Help save precious time with pre-inactivated, ready-to-use MEFs
• Culture ESCs and iPSCs with confidence using meticulously tested feeder cells
• Rely on a widely-used product
Help save time with ready-to-use MEFs
Irradiated CF1 MEFs help save time and trouble dealing with an animal facility, performing tedious, time-consuming dissections, and expanding and testing cells day after day, week after week. Focus on your research with these pre-inactivated, ready-to-use feeders.
Culture with meticulously tested feeder cells
Each lot of CF1 MEFs is tested for bacteria, fungi, mycoplasma, and mouse pathogens to minimize the risk of contamination. Each lot is also tested for post-thaw viability (typically greater than 95%) and ability to support mouse and human ES cells to ensure robust and consistent performance. These MEFs have successfully been used with ESC/iPSC lines from other species, but should be tested for compatibility if used for such an application.
Rely on a widely-used product
These CF1 MEFs are used in many labs worldwide and have been cited in various publications. They have been successfully used to support undifferentiated pluripotent stem cells at densities ranging from 2 x 104–5.3 x 104 cells/cm2.
• cGMP manufactured in compliance with 21 CFR part 820
• Supports expansion of human peripheral blood T-cells including CAR T cells
• Supports expansion of activated human dendritic cells and other immune cells
• Proven clinical use as an ancillary reagent in Provenge™ (sipuleucel-T), the first therapeutic cancer vaccine approved by the FDA 
• Adherence to supplier-related responsibilities of USP <1043>*
Security of supply
CTS AIM-V Medium is a defined serum-free formulation that contains no bovine-derived components at the primary component level. The product can be scaled to meet future clinical and commercial demand. Alternate manufacturing sites are available as further risk mitigation.
Gibco CTS products are manufactured at a site that uses methods and controls that conform to cGMP for medical devices, 21 CFR Part 820. Our FDA-registered manufacturing sites are ISO 13485- and ISO 9001–certified. Gibco CTS products follow USP <1043> 'ancillary materials for cell, gene, and tissue-engineered products' within the responsibilities applicable to a supplier.*
Accompanied by documentation to support your regulatory filing
Specific intended-use statements, full documentation traceability, and convenient access to our Drug Master File (DMF) are available.
Immune cell applications
CTS AIM-V Medium is cited in many peer-reviewed journals and used in multiple immune cell clinical applications such as activated dendritic cells. CTS AIM-V Medium supports expansion of T cells, T cell subsets, and virus-specific T cells. CTS AIM-V Medium can also be used to support natural killer cells combined with feeders. Each lot of CTS AIM-V Medium is pre-qualified using Jurkat cells, an immortalized human T lymphocyte line, to help ensure consistent performance.
What you get
CTS AIM-V Medium is available with L-glutamine, but phenol red, gentamicin sulfate, and streptomycin sulfate have been removed to meet global regulatory requirements for ancillary materials used in cell therapy manufacturing. For convenience, CTS AIM-V Medium is available in a 1000-mL bottle for small volume users as well as a 10-L bag for larger volume users interested in closed systems.
*Other aspects of USP <1043> will be the responsibility of the end-user to assess. Thermo Fisher Scientific cannot fulfill USP <1043> in regards to application and therapy-specific aspects (e.g., residual assessment and removal of the AM).
1. Madan RA, Gulley JL. Sipuleucel-T: harbinger of a new age of therapeutics for prostate cancer. Expert Rev Vaccines. 2011 10(2):141-50.
CTS™ Essential 8™ Medium Gibco™
CTS Essential 8 Medium:
• Reduces risks through a formulation with components not directly derived from animals
• Facilitates customer regulatory filings with cGMP manufacturing, traceability of raw materials, and available documentation, including certificates of origin, drug master files, and regulatory support files
• Simplifies the transition from bench to clinic with the same 8-component formulation as RUO Essential 8 Medium, but with components not directly derived from animals
Reduces risks from animal-origin material
CTS Essential 8 Medium contains no animal- or human-derived components at the primary component level. It is a fully defined medium for pluripotent stem cell culture: competitors’ similar-grade products contain human serum albumin (HSA), which brings additional risks in a clinical environment.
Facilitates regulatory filings
Gibco CTS products are manufactured at a site that uses methods and controls that conform with cGMP for medical devices, 21 CFR Part 820. Our FDA-registered manufacturing site is ISO 13485-certified. Specific intended-use statements, full documentation traceability, and convenient access to our Drug Master File (DMF) are available for CTS Essential 8 Medium.
Simplifies transition from bench to clinic
Like RUO Essential 8 Medium, CTS Essential 8 Medium contains only the eight essential components needed for stem cell culture, but with components not directly derived from animals. Combined with cGMP manufacturing, this simple, fully defined formulation improves consistency compared to other media that contain over 20 highly variable ingredients. The close similarity between Essential 8 Medium and CTS Essential 8 Medium enables a smooth transition from one medium to the other.
CTS Essential 8 Medium is commercialized in partnership with Cellular Dynamics International.
CTS LV-MAX Production Medium may be applicable for other recombinant viral vector production that uses a HEK293 medium.
CTS LV-MAX Production Medium features include:
• Supports CTS Viral Production Cells to achieve densities of over 1 x 107 cells/mL with minimal cell clumping
• Enables high viral titers of up to 1 x 108 TU/mL (unconcentrated lentiviral vectors–GFP)
• Scalable protocol for 96-deep well blocks, flasks, and bioreactors
• Regulatory-compliant medium manufactured in conformity with cGMP for medical devices, 21 CFR, Part 820, and certified to the ISO 13485. Drug Master File and Regulatory Support File available upon request.
CTS LV-MAX Production Medium is formulated with GlutaMAX-I reagent. It is ready to use, with no supplementation required. The chemically defined formulation results in high reproducibility and lot-to-lot reliability. The medium contains no human or animal-origin components. It is not recommended for adherent cell cultures. The formulation of this product is identical to research-grade LV-MAX Production Medium, but CTS LV-MAX Production Medium is validated for clinical and commercial therapeutic applications.
Custom configuration and packaging available upon request.
Essential 8™ Adaptation Kit Gibco™
The Essential 8 Adaptation Kit is:
• Robust–transition cells between feeder-dependent and feeder-free culture systems with minimal effort
• Physiologically relevant–expand cells with minimal differentiation
• Scalable–passage stem cell lines as single cells with no impact to genetic stability
When used with Essential 8 Medium, rhLaminin-521 provides a robust culture matrix that supports pluripotent stem cell adherence and expansion during the transition from feeder-dependent culture systems.
rhLaminin-521 is expressed in blastocysts and therefore provides an environment mimicking the human stem cell niche.
rhLaminin-521 promotes stable pluripotent stem cell maintenance as single cells in the absence of ROCK inhibitors.
Gibco® MarrowMAX™ Bone Marrow Medium features:
• Superior performance
• Ready-to-use format
• Quality and performance testing
• Unique, optimized formulation
Gibco® MarrowMAX™ Bone Marrow Medium outperforms other commercially available media containing Giant Cell Tumor (GCT) conditioned media, providing consistent performance with a higher mitotic index and superior chromosomal morphology (learn more about the superior performance of MarrowMAX™ medium here).
Gibco® MarrowMAX™ Bone Marrow Medium is a frozen, 1X medium, ready to use upon thawing. No supplementation is required. Thawed medium can be stored at 2–8°C for up to 60 days.
Quality and performance testing
Every lot of Gibco® MarrowMAX™ Bone Marrow Medium is performance tested by a certified US reference cytogenetics laboratory to ensure consistently superior performance. Bone marrow cells from the aspirate of a normal adult donor are cultured for 24 hours in Gibco® MarrowMAX™ Bone Marrow Medium before measuring the mitotic index and chromosome banding resolution. In addition, each lot is tested for sterility, pH, osmolality, mycoplasma and endotoxin.
Unique, optimized formulation
Gibco® MarrowMAX™ Bone Marrow Medium is an optimized RPMI 1640 medium, supplemented with Fetal Bovine Serum (FBS), gentamicin, and L-glutamine. It also contains a novel human stromal cell conditioned medium that consists of a unique blend of hematopoietic growth factors. Gibco® MarrowMAX™ Bone Marrow Medium does not contain GCT conditioned medium.
For in vitro diagnostic use.
cGMP Manufacturing and Quality System
Gibco® MarrowMAX™ Bone Marrow Medium is manufactured at a cGMP compliant facility, located in Grand Island, New York. The facility is registered with the FDA as a medical device manufacturer and is certified to ISO 13485 standards.
The iPSC Lab Starter Kit with Reprogramming includes the following products:
• CytoTune-iPS 2.0 Sendai Reprogramming Kit, Cat. No. A16517, 1 kit
• High glucose DMEM with GlutaMAX™-I, Cat. No. 10569-044, 40 x 500 mL
• Gibco™ Mouse Embryonic Fibroblasts (Irradiated), Cat. No. A24903, 11 vials
• MEM Non-Essential Amino Acids Solution (100X), Cat. No. 11140-050, 100 mL
• Fetal Bovine Serum, ES Cell-Qualified, Cat. No. 16141-061, 2 x 100 mL
• Attachment Factor, Cat. No. S-006-100, 2 x 100 mL
• 2-Mercaptoethanol (55 mM), Cat. No. 21985-023, 50 mL
• DMEM/F-12 with GlutaMAX™, Cat. No. 10565-018, 5 x 500 mL
• KnockOut™ Serum Replacement, Cat. No. 10828-010, 3 x 100 mL
• FGF-basic (AA 1-155) Recombinant Human Protein, Cat. No. PHG0264, 4 vials
• Collagenase Type IV, Cat. No. 17104-019, 1 vial
• Tra-1-60 AlexaFluor™ 488 Conjugate for Live Staining, Cat. No. A25618, 1 kit
PSC feeder-free transition and expansion:
• Essential 8™ Adaptation Kit, Cat. No. A25953, 1 kit
• Essential 8™ Medium, Cat. No. A1517001, 4 x 500 mL
• Geltrex™ hESC-qualified Basement Membrane Extract, Cat. No. A1413302, 2 x 5 mL
• Vitronectin (VTN-N), Cat. No. A14700, 3 x 1 mL
• Versene Solution, Cat. No. 15040066, 100 mL
• Dulbecco’s Phosphate Buffered Saline without Ca2+/Mg2+, Cat. No 14190250, 20 x 500 mL
The CTS™ product line enables you to reduce your burden in qualifying reagents during your transition from research applications to clinical applications.
• Defined, xenofree medium for hESC⁄iPSC stem cell culture.
• First-to-market xenofree hESC⁄iPSC product intended for Ex Vivo tissue and cell culture processing applications.
CTS™ KnockOut™ SR XenoFree Medium does not contain bovine or other non-human, animal-derived components. Besides pluripotent stem cell culture expansion and maintenance, CTS™ KnockOut™ SR XenoFree Medium can be used for hESC⁄hiPSC cryopreservation, derivation, and differentiation studies.
GIBCO® CTS™ products are of high quality, and are supplied with harmonized documentation such as Certificates of Analysis, Certificates of Origin, and access to authorization letters for our Drug Master Files, as appropriate.
For human ex vivo tissue and cell culture processing applications. CAUTION: Not intended for direct administration to humans or animals.
Hibernate™-E Medium Gibco™
Hibernate Medium enables neurons to be maintained in ambient CO2 levels for up to 48 hours. This provides scientists with greater convenience and control while running bench-top live cell experiments, such as microscopy, flow cytometry, and other physiology studies. Hibernate Medium also allows for the preservation of viable brain tissue before processing for up to a month with refrigeration and maintenance of tissue slices.
Hibernate Medium may be combined with B-27 Supplements to yield a complete medium.
For other applications, we provide alternative formulations of Hibernate Medium and B-27 Supplements.
For established protocols using Hibernate Medium, access our Gibco Neurobiology Protocol Handbook.
View publications using Gibco neurobiology products at our Gibco CellCite.
StemPro™-34 SFM (1X) Gibco™
StemPro®-34 SFM consists of a basal liquid medium and frozen supplement (StemPro®-Nutrient Supplement) which is added at the time of use.
Neurobasal Medium is suitable for use in most neuronal cell applications. For other applications, we provide alternative formulations of Neurobasal media and B-27 supplements.
For established protocols using Neurobasal media, access our Gibco Neurobiology Protocol Handbook.
View publications using Gibco neurobiology products at our Gibco CellCite.
CTS Essential 6 Medium:
• Provides a flexible format to suit different applications
• Facilitates regulatory filings through cGMP manufacturing and the availability of documentation
• Simplifies the transition from bench to clinic through the direct replacement of RUO Essential 6 Medium
Provides a flexible format
CTS Essential 6 Medium does not contain bFGF or TGFβ and so can support the formation of embryoid bodies. This medium can support the directed differentiation of various cell types and somatic cell reprogramming using a variety of methods.
Facilitates regulatory filings
CTS Essential 6 Medium is manufactured at a site that uses methods and controls that conform with cGMP for medical devices, 21 CFR Part 820. Our FDA-registered manufacturing site is ISO 13485-certified. Full documentation traceability and convenient access to our Drug Master File (DMF) are available for CTS Essential 6 Medium.
Simplifies transition from bench to clinic
CTS Essential 6 Medium contains the same six essential components as RUO Essential 6 Medium, and with its cGMP manufacturing process, this fully-defined formulation helps minimize variability. Like RUO Essential 6 Medium, CTS Essential 6 Medium does not contain bFGF or TGF-beta, which inhibits differentiation and negatively affects reprogramming efficiency, respectively. With its additional safety testing, including adventitious agents, CTS Essential 6 Medium enables a smooth transition from RUO Essential 6 Medium.
Commercialized in partnership with Cellular Dynamics International.
1. Chen G, Gulbranson DR, Hou Z, Bolin JM, Ruotti V, Probasco MD, Smuga-Otto K, Howden SE, Diol NR, Propson NE, Wagner R, Lee GO, Antosiewicz-Bourget J, Teng JM, Thomson JA. Chemically defined conditions for human iPSC derivation and culture. Nat Methods. 2011 8(5):424-9.
MesenPRO RS™ Medium Gibco™
MesenPRO RS™ Medium consists of:
• Basal liquid medium (MesenPRO RS™ Basal Medium)
• Frozen supplement (MesenPRO RS™ Growth Supplement), which is added at the time of use.
Formulated for the growth and expansion of mesenchymal stem cells.
Note: MesenPRO RS™ Medium has been developed for culturing MSCs at greater than clonal densities.
Recommended storage conditions:
• MesenPRO RS™ Basal Medium: Store in the dark at 2 to 8°C
• MesenPRO RS™ Growth Supplement: Store in the dark at -5 to -20°C
Both the Basal Medium and Growth Supplement are guaranteed stable for 24 months when properly stored.
Note: MesenPRO RS™ complete medium (basal, supplement and glutamine) is stable for 15 days when stored in the dark at 2 to 8°C. We do not recommend using the complete medium beyond 15 days.