RNAlater Solutions for RNA Stabilization and Storage
Invitrogen™ RNAlater™ Stabilization Solution is an aqueous, nontoxic tissue storage reagent that rapidly permeates tissues to stabilize and protect cellular RNA. RNAlater solution minimizes the need to immediately process tissue samples or to freeze samples in liquid nitrogen for later processing. Tissue pieces can be harvested and submerged in RNAlater solution for storage without jeopardizing the quality or quantity of RNA obtained after subsequent RNA isolation.
- Immediate RNase inactivation
- Freedom from liquid nitrogen and freezers
- Minimizes freezing and grinding
- Ideal for field collection
- Flexible tissue storage
- Compatible with most RNA isolation procedures including all of the Invitrogen™ Ambion™ RNA isolation kits
Product selection guide
|RNAlater tissue collection: RNA Stabilization Solution||Aqueous, nontoxic tissue storage reagent that rapidly permeates tissue to stabilize and protect the integrity of RNA in unfrozen tissue samples, minimizing the need to immediately process or freeze tissue samples in liquid nitrogen.|
RNAlater™-ICE Frozen Tissue Transition Solution
|Prevents RNA degradation during tissue thawing and minimizes the laborious grinding of frozen tissue, while safeguarding the RNA|
Video: How to stabilize RNA in fresh specimens
Learn how to quickly and easily stabilize and protect RNA in fresh specimens. RNAlater Stabilization Solution eliminates the need to immediately process samples, freeze them in liquid nitrogen, or rush them to the freezer.
Trim the tissue to be less than 0.5 cm in at least one dimension and simply submerge it in 5 volumes of RNAlater solution (e.g., a 0.5 g sample requires about 2.5 mL of RNAlater solution). Small organs such as rat kidney, liver, and spleen can be stored whole in RNAlater solution. Resuspend pelleted cells in a small amount of PBS before adding 5–10 volumes of RNAlater solution. Samples can be stored at 4°C for one month, at 25°C for one week, or at –20°C indefinitely. Archive tissues treated with RNAlater solution at –20°C.
For RNA isolation, simply remove the tissue from RNAlater solution and treat it as though it was just harvested. Most tissues can be homogenized directly in lysis buffer, although harder tissues such as bone may require freezing in liquid nitrogen and grinding.
Is RNAlater solution compatible with my system?
RNAlater solution has been tested on a variety of mammalian tissues, plants, E. coli, Xenopus, fish, and Drosophila. It has been successfully used with all of our Ambion RNA isolation kits (Figure 1), including RNAqueous, ToTALLY RNA, RNA WIZ, and Poly(A)Purist Kits, as well as TRI Reagent products (MRC). Other commercial RNA isolation kits and standard RNA isolation protocols are also compatible with RNAlater solution.
|Figure 1. Compatibility of various RNA isolation methods with RNAlater solution.
Freshly dissected whole mouse liver and heart were placed in RNAlater solution and stored at 4°C for three days. RNA was isolated from equal mass amouts of each tissue using Ambion's ToTALLY RNA, RNAqueous, or Poly(A)Purist kits.
Does RNAlater solution preserve the histology of tissues?
Recent research by Drs. Scott Florell and Sancy Leachman at the Huntsman Cancer Institute [Mod Pathol 14:116 (2001)] demonstrates that RNAlater solution does preserve the histology of tissues. A blinded study was performed in which two pathologists compared human tissue sections that were immediately processed for histology (fixed in formalin and embedded in paraffin, or frozen sectioned) to samples stored in RNAlater solution, rinsed, and then processed for histology. Their results indicate that morphological detail and staining characteristics were identical for the two groups of samples. An example of their findings is presented in Figure 2. In addition to excellent staining and preservation of morphological detail, many immunohistological stains performed equally well in the RNAlater solution–preserved samples, suggesting preservation in RNAlater solution caused no damage to cellular epitopes.
Figure 2. Histology of RNAlater solution–preserved tissue.
RNAlater solution–preserved samples are suitable for histology and provide excellent morphological detail. Sections made from RNAlater-preserved material were indistinguishable from slides made from untreated samples when examined for standard histological criteria. (A). H&E stained, frozen section of human skin preserved for one week in RNAlater solution prior to processing. (B). Stained as above but formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded section of human skin preserved for one week in RNAlater solution prior to processing.
How practical is RNAlater solution?
This convenient and inexpensive product preserves the integrity of your precious RNA and saves you the time and trouble of grinding frozen tissue in liquid nitrogen. RNAlater solution is economical and can be stored at room temperature.
RNAlater solution technical resources
- RNA Remains Stable During Long-term Tissue Storage in RNAlater® - TechNotes 12(4): Tissues stored in RNAlater® or flash-frozen and stored at -80°C... How does the RNA compare after 2.5 years?
- RNAlater® FAQs - Preserving RNA Before Isolation
- RNAlater® for RNA and Protein Stabilization
- Make Time Stand Still With RNAlater® - TechNotes 10(1): The Ambion® RNAlater® Tissue Collection: RNA Stabilization Solution makes it possible for researchers to postpone RNA isolation for days, weeks, or even months after tissue collection without sacrificing RNA integrity.
- Preserve RNA in the Tissue Before RNA Isolation - TechNotes 8(2): RNAlater® solution preserves RNA in tissues to be used for histology.
- RNAlater® for RNA and Protein Stabilization - TechNotes 11(3): Intact protein can be recovered from RNAlater® solution–stabilized samples for use in downstream applications such as western blotting or 2D gel analysis.
- RNAlater® Preserves Bacterial Gene Expression Profiles for Array Analysis - TechNotes 9(5): Arresting gene expression patterns during sample processing
- RNAlater® Solution Around the World: Stabilizing Expression Profiles - TechNotes 14(2): Here we describe how three different research groups used RNAlater® solution to preserve samples for microarray and RT-PCR studies.
- Thaw Frozen Tissues Without Damaging RNA - TechNotes 10(2): RNAlater®-ICE is a unique RNA stabilizing solution—simply drop frozen tissues into RNAlater®-ICE and walk away! The tissues thaw without risk of RNA degradation. Once thawed, the tissues can be processed like fresh tissues.
Protocols and manuals
- RNAlater® Preserves Bacterial Gene Expression Profiles for Array Analysis
Here we show that RNAlater® solution immediately stabilizes RNA expression profiles in both gram-positive and gram-negative species. RNA was isolated from the bacteria with and without RNAlater® solution treatment, and RNA integrity was evaluated on the Agilent 2100 bioanalyzer and by membrane filter–based array analysis.