GeneRuler DNA Ladders benefits
Exceptional purity and quality of GeneRuler DNA Ladders
- Exceptional purity and quality of DNA bands—no double peaks or broad peaks occur during capillary electrophoresis; additionally, no double bands are observed on the gel.
- Accurate in-gel quantification—the concentration of each band is determined spectrophotometrically, and the exact amount of DNA in each band can be calculated precisely.
- No organic solvents are used in preparation of the ladders, helps reduce environmental waste from manufacturing process.
Figure 1. The GeneRuler DNA ladders can offer sharp peaks during capillary electrophoresis, for exceptional purity of DNA fragments without additional DNA fragments or dNTPs.(A) Thermo Scientific GeneRuler 100 bp DNA Ladder (red) and Promega 100 bp DNA Ladder (blue). (B) GeneRuler 100 bp DNA Ladder (red) and Sigma-Aldrich DirectLoad™ PCR 100 bp Low Ladder (blue).
Sharp, bright reference bands and easy-to-remember patterns
Figure 2. GeneRuler DNA ladders provide sharp and bright reference bands, with an easy-to-remember pattern. Amount of DNA ladder per lane was loaded according to each manufacturer’s recommendation.
(A) Lane 1: GeneRuler 1 kb DNA Ladder, ready-to-use; lane 2: GeneRuler 1 kb Plus DNA Ladder, ready-to-use; lane 3: Sigma-Aldrich DirectLoad™ Wide Range DNA Marker; lane 4: NEB Quick-Load™ 2-Log DNA Ladder (0.1–10.0 kb); lane 5: NEB Quick-Load™ 1 kb DNA Ladder.
(B) Lane 1: GeneRuler 100 bp DNA Ladder, ready-to-use; lane 2: GeneRuler 100 bp Plus DNA Ladder, ready-to-use; lane 3: Sigma-Aldrich DirectLoad™ PCR 100 bp Low Ladder; lane 4: NEB Quick-Load™ Purple 100 bp DNA Ladder.
Easy tracking of DNA migration with TriTrack Loading Buffer
The TriTrack DNA Loading Buffer, 6X (Cat. No. R1161) contains three dyes (bromophenol blue, xylene cyanol FF, and orange G) for visual tracking of DNA migration during electrophoresis. These dyes do not interfere with visualization.
Ready-to-use DNA ladders premixed with the TriTrack Loading Buffer are stable at room temperature up to six months.
Ambient shipping of GeneRuler DNA Ladders minimizes waste
Ambient shipping is the use of a non-insulated shipping box when products are ordered with other items that do not need freezer storage. They will be shipped in an insulated box with dry ice when orders include items that need freezer storage, to avoid shipment of multiple containers and the generation of additional waste. The GeneRuler DNA Ladder products exhibit no difference in function or stability whether shipped in ambient, gel- or dry ice conditions. Learn more about ambient shipping for Thermo Scientific DNA Ladders. For long-term stability, store DNA ladders below –20°C after you receive them.
GeneRuler DNA Ladder selection guide
The key to accurate band analysis is to use the correct DNA ladder for your particular application. By selecting the GeneRuler DNA Ladder of interest in Table 1, you will be directed to the corresponding product page for more details and ordering information. GeneRuler DNA Ladders are ideal for DNA sizing and approximate quantification of a wide range of double-stranded DNA ranging from 10 bp to 48.5 kb. Ready-to-use (RTU) ladders are premixed with DNA loading buffer and tracking dyes.
- Gene Ruler 100 bp and 1kb Plus DNA Ladders—Ability to visualize a wider range of DNA fragments than 100 bp and 1 kb DNA ladders.
- GeneRuler DNA Ladder Mix—Contains high DNA band density for precise sizing of target DNA.
- GeneRuler Express DNA Ladder—Designed for fast separation (5–15 min at 23 V/cm) under a wide range of electrophoresis conditions, in different buffers, voltages, or gel percentage.
- GeneRuler Ultra Low Range and Low Range DNA Ladders—Provide approximate quantification and sizing of small molecular weight DNA fragments; when analyzing siRNA, use ultra-low range ladders.
- GeneRuler High Range DNA Ladders—Designed for rapid sizing of high molecular weight DNA fragments (1.5 hr in 0.4% agarose gel).
Table 1. Pick the best GeneRuler DNA Ladder for your analysis.*
|Product name||GeneRuler Ultra Low Range DNA Ladder||GeneRuler Low Range DNA Ladder||GeneRuler 50 bp DNA Ladder||GeneRuler 100 bp DNA Ladder||GeneRuler 100 bp Plus DNA Ladder||GeneRuler 1 kb DNA Ladder||GeneRuler 1 kb Plus DNA Ladder||GeneRuler Express DNA Ladder||GeneRuler DNA Ladder Mix||GeneRuler High Range DNA Ladder|
|Colorless DNA ladders (dye not premixed)||SM1211|
|Base pairs (bp)||10-300||25-700||50-1000||100-1000||100-3000||250-10000||75-20000||100-5000||100-10000|
* Bands represent each of the DNA fragments. The dark bands represent reference bands.
Related DNA electrophoresis products
Discover high-quality and reliable Thermo Scientific loading dyes, electrophoresis buffers, and agarose.
Molecular Biology Resource Library
Access valuable support for standard molecular biology techniques in our library of Thermo Scientific webinars, videos, articles, and more.
Nucleic Acid Gel Electrophoresis and Blotting Support Center
Browse tips, troubleshooting help, and resources for your nucleic acid gel electrophoresis applications.
Nucleic Acid Electrophoresis Education
Learn about gel electrophoresis basics, workflow, considerations, applications, and troubleshooting in separation and analysis of nucleic acids.
Email or call our technical application scientists for additional questions regarding DNA ladders.
For Research Use Only. Not for use in diagnostic procedures.