Products for a smoother transition from research to clinic
Whether you’re developing a CAR-T therapy, another type of T cell immunotherapy, or working with other immune cell types, Gibco CTS products are the superior choice from research to clinic and beyond.
Cell Therapy Systems (CTS) tools, reagents and services support cell therapy research and further manufacturing of cell-, gene-, and tissue-based products. Our CTS T cell culture media and reagents help minimize the risk of contamination and variability in your research and provide extensive traceability documentation including FDA Drug Master Files and/or Regulatory Support Files to support regulatory review, facilitating a seamless transition from research to commercialization.
We offer tailored T cell media, dendritic cell culture media and supplements for a variety of immune cell types. On-going efforts in innovation allow us to offer media specific for the growth and expansion of human T lymphocytes, for example, CTS OpTmizer Pro Serum Free Medium (SFM) for use in allogeneic cell therapies. CTS products aim to reduce the time you spend from your initial discovery to approved therapy. The methods and controls used for ancillary material manufacturing conform with cGMP for medical devices, 21 CFR Part 820 and USP <1043>, Ph Eur 5.2.12.
For more information about our product offerings, ordering information, and customer support, access our Cell Therapy Solutions brochure. If you’re interested in a custom CTS product, please send us an inquiry.
On this page:
Gibco CTS Rotea Counterflow Centrifugation System
A compact, flexible closed cell processing system, designed to streamline and expedite your cell therapy development, that enables:
- Process flexibility—user-programmable software enables you to create and optimize a broad range of protocols for cell separation, washing, and concentration
- High cell recovery and viability—gentle processing enables >95% cell recovery while maintaining cell viability
- Low output volumes—proprietary technology can deliver as little as 5 mL of concentrate
- Research through commercial manufacturing—the closed single-use kit enables sterile processing, and an OPC-UA interface enables connectivity to a 21 CFR Part 11-compliant system
CTS Dynabeads CD3/CD28
CTS Dynabeads CD3/CD28 mimic in vivo T cell activation via antigen-presenting cells. This gentle and efficient technology provides a trusted technology platform from which the beads can be used to isolate T cells and provide both the primary and costimulatory signals required for activation and expansion (Annu Rev Immunol 32:189 (2014); Nat Med 21:914 (2015); Mol Ther 15:355 (2007).) The Novartis chimeric antigen receptor T cell (CAR-T) cell therapy, Kymriah™ (tisagenlecleucel, formerly CTL019), is the first FDA-approved CAR-T immunotherapy, and uses specifically developed Cell Therapy Systems (CTS) Dynabeads technology.
- Isolate, activate, and expand your T cells ex vivo with just one product
- Harvest 100–1,000 fold expanded T cells in just 9–14 days
- Recover T cells with properties comparable to in vivo–activated T cells
CTS Dynabeads Treg Xpander
Optimized for regulatory T cells (Tregs), Gibco CTS Dynabeads Treg Xpander provides a more specific and higher-fold expansion of Tregs with superior cell yields and suppression of conventional T cells, which is essential for the treatment of autoimmune disease.
- Scalable technology for robust activation and expansion of Tregs
- Aseptically manufactured and ready for clinical research and commercial manufacturing
- >800-fold expansion at day 14 following stimulation at day 0 and day 9
- Expressed high percentage of FoxP3, CCR7, CD62L, CD45RO and CD45RA, and central memory phenotype markers
CTS DynaMag Magnet
The Gibco CTS DynaMag Magnet facilitates efficient isolation of T cells in conjunction with CTS Dynabeads CD3/CD28 magnetic beads in closed, sterile blood bags (Cytotherapy16:619 (2014)).
- Isolate bead-bound cells, for example for subsequent stimulation/expansion of T cells with CTS Dynabeads CD3/CD28 and for removal of the beads following the expansion protocol
- Ideal for magnetic isolation in closed, sterile blood bags and tubing systems
- Remove unwanted cell types by discarding the magnetic captured bead-bound cells
CTS LV-MAX Lentiviral Production System
The CTS LV-MAX Lentiviral Production System offers a scalable high-titer lentiviral vector production platform. This system includes HEK 293–derived suspension cells, serum-free media, proprietary transfection reagent, supplement, and enhancer. It can produce up to 10X more lentivirus, cutting costs by more than half compared to using polyethyleneimine (PEI)–based lentiviral production methods.
- Cost effective—reduce lentiviral vector production costs by up to 50%
- High titers—greater than 1 x 108 TU/mL (unconcentrated)
- GMP manufactured—seamlessly transition from research to commercial production
CTS Viral Production Cells
Our GMP-banked CTS Viral Production Cells are derived from the human embryonic kidney (HEK) 293 cell line and were adapted to suspension culture in a chemically defined medium. These cells were developed to support cell and gene therapy applications, particularly intended for viral vector manufacturing. For more information on this cell line and our flexible licensing options, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Extensive documentation of cell line lineage
- Absence of SV40 large T antigen
- Supports >10 million cells/mL in chemically defined medium
Lentiviral production solutions
Whether you’re working with an adherent or a suspension production system, lentiviral production can be a costly part of your overall operation. Our high-titer lentiviral production system comprises research use and GMP reagents to provide a cost-effective scalable solution for lentiviral vector production, from research through commercial manufacturing.
CTS Immune Cell Serum Replacement (SR)
CTS Immune Cell Serum Replacement (SR) is designed to support expansion of in vitro cultured human immune cells such as T cells. A defined xeno-free formulation proven for clinical use and designed to support expansion of in vitro cultured human T cells when added as a supplement to a basal cell culture medium such as Gibco CTS OpTmizer T Cell Expansion SFM or AIM V Medium.
- Minimizes the supply and safety risks associated with human serum and can be used with the base media of your choice
- Supports expansion, efficacy and resistance of lentiviral gene-modified CAR T cells
- Supports T cell phenotype (CD4, CD8, and CD62L) similar to human serum
NEW CTS OpTmizer Pro Serum Free Medium (SFM)
Improve central memory phenotype and cell growth for allogeneic T cell therapies. Gibco CTS OpTmizer Pro SFM is a novel medium, developed for the growth and expansion of human T lymphocytes (e.g., CD4+, CD8+, polyclonal cells, or antigen specific T cells) used in allogeneic cell therapies. CTS OpTmizer Pro SFM improves central memory phenotype and cell growth by shifting the cell’s metabolism. The result is a larger population of central memory cells in a shorter period of time.
- Serum-free and xeno-free medium
- Supports high density cultures in static cultures
- Supports T-cell activation using Dynabeads magnetic beads, soluble antibodies, and stimulatory antibody-presenting cell protocols
- New Aegis5-14 film and bag design allows compatibility with closed systems
- The media maintains central memory T cells further into expansion and is well suited for longer workflows (>15 days)
- Modest increases in central memory cells at early stage in the expansion protocol result in larger cell yields at harvest
- Capable of achieving the same number of cells in a shorter duration
- Ideally suited to the production of allogeneic therapies
Enhanced Design and Compatibility
Thermo Scientific Aegis5-14 Film allows compatibility with closed systems.
Thermo Scientific Aegis5-14 Film is a five-layer cast film produced in a cGMP facility. The outer layer is a polyester elastomer coextruded with an ethyl vinyl alcohol (EVOH) barrier layer and an ultra-low-density polyethylene product contact layer. Aegis5-14 Film is manufactured using no animal derived components.
CTS OpTmizer T Cell Expansion SFM
A complete serum-free, xeno-free medium formulation proven for clinical success and specifically developed for the growth and expansion of human T lymphocytes. CTS OpTmizer T Cell Expansion SFM is now available without phenol red.
- Supports high density T cell culture
- Supports phenotype, function and viability similar to T cells cultured with conventional medium supplemented with human AB serum
- Now supplied in a 1L enclosed bag facilitating work in GMP environments
CTS AIM V Medium
Gibco CTS AIM V Medium is a fully defined serum-free formulation for proliferation and/or manipulation of T cells, dendritic cells, and other primary or immortalized cells. It contains L-glutamine and is formulated with or without phenol red and antibiotics, making it ideal for research or manufacturing. Gibco CTS AIM-V Medium, without phenol red, without antibiotics, is now available in a flexible packaging format suitable for aseptic integration into your workflow through sterile welding, MPC quick connect, or Luer lock connections.
- Adherence to supplier-related responsibilities of USP <1043>*
- Approved for use in multiple clinical trials globally
- Closed system compatible: flexibility to sterile weld or aseptically connect to closed systems
*Other aspects of USP <1043> will be the responsibility of the end-user to assess.Thermo Fisher Scientific cannot fulfill USP <1043> in regards to application and therapy-specific aspects (e.g., residual assessment and removal of the AM).
We offer full customization options to help meet your unique specifications for any project. Flexibility is yours in creating your own Gibco custom cell culture medium
- Add or remove components
- Change a concentration
- Switch packaging
- Select from cGMP or non-GMP
- Choose QC tests
The Applied Biosystems PureQuant Assays offer an alternative to flow cytometry to identify and quantify B cells, monocytes, CD3+, CD4+, and CD8+ T cells, regulatory T cells (Treg), and T helper cells (Th17) in a mixed population. These TaqMan® qPCR-based assay kits measure genomic DNA methylation at specific sites that serve as a unique cell type specific identifier. Assays include all reagents, standards and controls.
- Facilitates regulatory filings—shorten development timelines; established performance specifications following ICHQ2(R1) guidelines
- Proven technology—used for immune cell identification and quantification for over a decade
- Easily standardized—consistent results across multiple users, instruments, and sites
- Scheduling flexibility—run fresh cells, frozen cells or gDNA at your convenience
CTS DPBS without calcium chloride, without magnesium chloride
Gibco Cell Therapy Systems CTS DPBS is the classical Dulbecco’s Phosphate Buffered Saline not containing calcium, magnesium, or phenol red. Gibco CTS DPBS, without calcium chloride, without magnesium chloride is now available in a flexible, closed system compatible packaging format.
- Provides an environment that maintains the structural and physiological integrity of cells in vitro
- Chemically defined and animal origin-free materials suitable for use in clinical research studies
- Closed system compatible–flexibility for sterile welding, MPC quick connect, or Luer lock connections to integrate into your workflow
CTS GlutaMAX supplement is an animal origin–free (AOF) dipeptide alternative to L-glutamine, with increased stability that improves cell health. CTS GlutaMAX supplement can be used as a direct substitute for L-glutamine at equimolar concentrations in mammalian and stem cell culture with minimal or no adaptation.
- Minimizes toxic ammonia build-up—unlike L-glutamine, GlutaMAX Supplement does not spontaneously break down to form ammonia. This prevents waste build-up and maintains a fresh supply of L-glutamine during long-term culture
- Improves growth efficiency and performance of mammalian cell cultures—lower levels of ammonia results in improved cell viability; in addition, culture conditions are more controlled due to the consistent concentration of GlutaMAX supplement that is not possible with L-glutamine
- Remains stable across a wide range of temperatures—CTS GlutaMAX supplement retains full functionality at room temperature or 2–8°C, for convenient storage and handling
|Can I use CTS Growth Factors/Cytokines products for in vivo clinical use?||No. CTS Growth Factors/Cytokines cannot be used for direct in vivo applications. CTS products are intended for use as ancillary reagents used in the manufacturing process which includes a wash step prior to any in vivo application.|
|Can I use CTS Growth Factors/Cytokines in clinical trials?||Researchers are free to use these products in accordance with the Limited Use Label License (LULL) for early research-based clinical trials through Phase IIA. However, the proper regulatory approval is required before using CTS products in research-based clinical trials since they may require specific labeling and/or higher quality manufacturing standards.|
|Can I use CTS Growth Factors/Cytokines for commercial use?||Researchers are free to use these products in accordance with the Limited Use Label License (LULL), but commercial use is not allowed under general purchase of these products. Commercial access to these products may be available through a formal Supply Agreement under which we do not anticipate that there will be any additional licensing fees for these products. In all cases, it is the researcher’s responsibility to get approval from the appropriate regulatory authorities for labeling and intended use of these ancillary materials for your application beyond phase IIA trials.|
|Can I use CTS products for in vivo clinical use?||No. CTS products cannot be used for direct in vivo applications. CTS products are intended for use as ancillary reagents used in the manufacturing process which includes a wash step prior to any in vivo application.|
|Can I use CTS products in clinical trials?||Researchers are free to use these products in accordance with the Limited Use Label License (LULL) for early research-based clinical trials through Phase IIA. If there are LULL restrictions, an assessment of your intended use may be required. The proper regulatory approval is required before using CTS products in research-based clinical trials since they may require specific labeling and/or higher quality manufacturing standards.|
|Can I use CTS products for commercial use?||Researchers are free to use these products in accordance with the Limited Use Label License (LULL), but commercial use is not allowed under general purchase of these products. If there are LULL restrictions, an assessment of your intended use may be required. Commercial access to these products may be available through a formal Supply Agreement under which we do not anticipate that there will be any additional licensing fees for these products. In all cases, it is the researcher’s responsibility to get approval from the appropriate regulatory authorities for labeling and intended use of these ancillary materials for your application beyond phase IIA trials.|
|CTS OpTmizer Pro Serum Free Medium (SFM)|
|Does CTS OpTmizer Pro SFM contain any steroids/proteins?||CTS OpTmizer Pro SFM contains albumin and transferrin, but no steroids.|
|Can CTS OpTmizer Pro SFM be stored frozen for extended shelf life?||CTS OpTmizer Pro SFM should not be stored frozen.|
|Does CTS OpTmizer Pro SFM have a DMF?||Yes, CTS OpTmizer Pro SFM has all the traceability documentation—including Drug Master Files (DMF) and certificates of origin.|
|What populations of T cells has this product been verified to culture?||CTS OpTmizer Pro SFM is targeted for the expansion of CD3+CD4+ and CD3+CD8+ T-cells.|
|Are there any special considerations for adapting my protocols/current cells in culture to CTS OpTmizer Pro SFM?||The protocol for the use of CTS OpTmizer Pro SFM is identical to CTS OpTmizer T Cell Expansion SFM.|
|Is CTS OpTmizer Pro SFM compatible with GlutaMax?||This medium can be supplemented with GlutaMAX, with a recommended concentration of 2%.|
|What is the maximum cell density that CTS OpTmizer Pro SFM can support?||CTS OpTmizer Pro SFM has been used to support cell densities up to 5 x 106 cells/mL in a static plate and 9 x 107 cells/mL in a perfusion rocking bioreactor.|
|Can CTS OpTmizer Pro SFM be used with larger vessels?||CTS OpTmizer Pro SFM supports cell expansion in rocking bioreactors and has been tested up to 5 L volumes.|
- Application Note: The Benefits of Supplementing CTS™ OpTmizer™ T-Cell Expansion SFM, No Phenol Red
- Application Note: CTS™ OpTmizer™ T-Cell Expansion SFM, No Phenol Red, Displays T-Cell Manufacturing Workflow Flexibility
- Application Note: One-Step Isolation and Activation of Naive and Early Memory T Cells with CTS™ Dynabeads CD3/CD28
- Application Note: Performance Equivalency of CTS™ OpTmizer™ T-Cell Expansion SFM with and without Phenol Red
- White Paper: Autologous CAR T cell manufacturing using a semiautomatic, closed, modular workflow
- Article: A Rapid Cell Expansion Process for Production of Engineered Autologous Car-T Cell Therapies
- Brochure: Expert Roundtable—Immuno-oncology manufacturing: progress towards streamlined commercialization
- Poster: Improved Control of Activation and Expansion of Tregs for use in Cell Therapy Applications
- Manual: CTS™ Dynabeads Treg Xpander
- New Viral and Non-Viral Platforms for T-Cell Engineering
Kymriah is a registered trademark of Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation.
Intended use of the products mentioned on this page vary. For specific intended use statements please refer to the product label.