Viruses take lives. Early, accurate detection and differentiation is the first step to proper treatment.
The arrival of COVID-19 into the ecosystem changed the way we approach respiratory testing. Gone are the days of relying on a rapid test to diagnose an infection. PCR or molecular testing is now the gold standard. Its magnifying capacity allows laboratorians to detect the virus, even when there are minimal copies in the host.
Shared symptoms, different viruses
Proper treatment begins with proper diagnosis. Because influenza and COVID-19 share symptoms, accurate testing is needed to distinguish one from the other. An Emergency Use Authorized (EUA) multiplex PCR test like this one is specifically designed to detect and differentiate between multiple respiratory viruses as the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic overlaps with respiratory virus seasons. The test uses an assay design with two SARS-CoV-2 targets to compensate for emerging variants and mutations and to help provide confidence in results.
Single test to detect and differentiate between COVID-19 and influenza
The TaqPath COVID-19, Flu A, Flu B Combo Kit is a single test that can detect and differentiate between COVID-19 and influenza, which present with similar clinical symptoms, whether the sample contains one or both viruses, as in the case of a co-infection.
The TaqPath kit is a multiplex assay. This means that the user can test for more than one virus in the same run using one patient sample. This comes in handy when the COVID-19 pandemic overlaps with virus season.
How do we tell these viruses apart?
Turnaround time from sample to interpreted results is approximately 3 hours. The required workflow consists of sample extraction and preparation, real-time RT-PCR genetic analysis, and automated translation of data into patient diagnosis.
Analyze and report
Thermo Scientific KingFisher Flex Purification System with Applied Biosystems MagMAX Viral/Pathogen II Nucleic Acid Isolation Kit
Applied Biosystems Pathogen Interpretive Software (v1.1.0)
Analysis and reporting
The Applied Biosystems Pathogen Interpretive Software (v1.1.0) is part of the required workflow and must be downloaded prior to instrumentation use.
You may download the software upon kit purchase. Labs following the authorized workflow are required to complete an eLearning course and pass an exam to download.
Follow the instructions below to obtain the software from your local support team:
- Go to thermofisher.com/contactus
- Select “Instrument Service” as category
- Enter product name or Cat. No. and select your country
- Call the local number displayed on the screen
Authorized sample types
Authorized sample preparation
Limit of detection (LOD)
- TaqPath COVID-19, Flu A, Flu B RT-PCR Assay Multiplex—multiplexed assays that contain primer and probe sets specific to two SARS-CoV-2 targets (S gene and N gene), one influenza A target, one influenza B target, and bacteriophage MS2
- MS2 Phage Control—internal process control for nucleic acid extraction
- TaqPath COVID-19, Flu A, Flu B Control—RNA control that contains targets specific to the SARS- CoV-2, influenza A, and influenza B genomic regions targeted by the assays
- TaqPath Control Dilution Buffer