In the past, adding large instruments required building a brand-new facility or dramatically altering an existing one to make room for the new technology. The result was added costs and significant laboratory downtime. With the right cryo-electron microscopy (cryo-EM) equipment and a detailed facility plan, you may be able to avoid major modifications to your existing infrastructure. Thermo Fisher Scientific offers the advanced expertise you need to precisely plan every aspect of your laboratory, helping to reduce building costs, while optimizing your laboratory for the best results.
Cryo-EM microscopes that save space
- Smallest in its class, the Thermo Scientific Glacios Cryo-TEM is only 2.8 meters tall and has the smallest footprint of the 200 kV microscopes. It can often be installed without significant modifications to your building or the need for a purpose-built lab. With a small footprint, superior performance and innovative automation, it brings single particle analysis (SPA) to any structural biology laboratory.
- The Thermo Scientific Talos Arctica Cryo-TEM is another 200 kV microscope, being slightly taller at 3 meters. It has a larger footprint but offers proven technology with extended application flexibility.
- The new Thermo Scientific Krios G4 Cryo-TEM, the most compact TEM in its class, consists of a highly stable 300 kV TEM platform and the industry-leading Autoloader (cryogenic sample manipulation robot), making it ideally suited for automated applications such as single particle analysis. Through a thorough redesign of the mechanical base frame and system enclosure, the microscope height has been reduced to less than 3 meters, which allows for instrument installation in labs with a ceiling height lower than 3.04 m (~10 feet), thereby avoiding costly room renovations.
All three instruments offer designed-in connectivity to the autoloader that ensures a robust and risk-free pathway throughout the entire workflow, from sample preparation and optimization to image acquisition and data processing.
Expert advice on organizing your laboratory
Thermo Fisher Scientific provides the advice and support you need to plan your cryo-EM laboratory. This includes:
- Specific guidance on-site specifications for every microscope type along with a dedicated pre-installation manual.
- A site survey verifying that all site requirements are met.
- Extensive support for the placement of Thermo Fisher Scientific products.
- A dedicated customer success manager who serves as your single point of contact and coordinates the necessary resources.
Assistance planning all aspects of your infrastructure
To plan your cryo-EM laboratory, it's critical to consider three main infrastructure components:
- A sample preparation facility is required for protein purification and sample vitrification.
- The room dimensions and environmental conditions needed for the microscope facility, along with the transportation route to and from the building.
- The IT infrastructure required to process and store massive amounts of data and develop 3D reconstructions.
We help you with all three components, offering the advice you need to plan your cryo-EM laboratory and optimize your infrastructure for top results.