Portable Manufacturing and Metal Fabrication Analysis
Have confidence in your raw material and finished goods testing
Material verification for alloy quality assurance and quality control (QA/QC) is critical to product safety; wrong or out-of-specification metal alloys can lead to premature and potentially catastrophic part failures.
With all types of manufacturing operations facing increasingly stringent industrial safety regulations and fines, today’s best practices include testing 100% of critical materials as part of a QA/QC program. Thermo Scientific™ Niton™ portable X-ray fluorescence (XRF) analyzers offer the best solution for performing QA/QC (also known as positive material identification or PMI). XRF is a nondestructive technique that can determine the elemental composition of a sample within seconds, helping to ensure that no incorrect or out-of-specification metal alloys caused by material mix-ups, lost traceability, incorrect weld chemistry and dilution, or even counterfeit materials enter the manufacturing process.
Make Niton XRF analyzers part of your best practice standards.
If airplane parts are not manufactured with the precise alloy specified for the application, the parts may not be able to support the weight and stresses they are designed to bear. Niton XRF analyzers are purpose-built to provide the highest quality analysis and verification necessary for the full range of aerospace alloys.
- Verify high-temp, nickel, titanium, aluminum alloys and superalloys
- Analyze light elements in aluminum and titanium alloys
- Detect high-purity tin and prevent tin whiskers before they start
- Identify selenium, cadmium, and zinc coatings for space applications
- Analyze melt charge material on the spot
- Achieve lab-quality accuracy and precision with nondestructive analysis
- Test finished products before shipment
Metal coatings must be applied in certain thickness specifications in order to perform as expected. Niton analyzers are an extremely efficient technology for rapid compositional analysis of alloy coatings in any application. The strength of an XRF signal can be used to determine the thickness of the coating; a second reading can determine the thickness of the substrate.
- Perform spot analysis anywhere in the supply chain
- Ensure that expensive coating material isn’t wasted
- Enhance process monitoring and quality control
New lightweight steel grades and aluminum alloys are being developed to make cars more fuel efficient. Each grade or alloy is made from designated percentages of different elements and undergoes refining processes to have the appropriate properties for specific automotive components. Even slight variations in the recipe can render the parts defective. Niton analyzers are essential for material verification in the manufacture of these components.
- Meet specific PMI requirements for automotive manufacturing
- Perform elemental analysis of specialty alloys
- Test finished material to ensure it meets precise engineering specifications
Biopharmaceutical engineering (BPE) specifications require complete traceability of critical stainless steel components. Mill certification and heat stamps have proven unreliable in numerous cases. Many facilities rely on Niton analyzers for superior material verification and positive alloy grade identification in seconds.
- Enhance ASME/BPE specs with spectral output
- Perform on-site Installation Qualifications (IQ) and Operational Qualifications (OQ) in minutes
- Calibrated to NIST-traceable standards
- Lightweighting Absence of Malice: Inspecting for Tramps
- Reinforcing the Service Life of Bridges with Portable XRF Analyzers
- Evaluating Corrosion in Concrete Structures by Measuring Chlorine Levels with Portable XRF Technology
- At Line Coating Thickness and Plating Bath Analysis Using Handheld XRF
- Handheld XRF Technology Determines Surface Mercury Contamination
- PMI Quality Assurance of Critical Fasteners
- Niton XRF Analyzers for the Metal Industry
- XRF technology
- XRF glossary
- Portable X-Ray Fluorescence (XRF) Tools & Accessories
- Radiation safety training
- Analytical Instrument Solutions for Automotive