Next-generation bioprocess harvest solution
The first step in the recombinant biotherapeutic downstream process is harvesting cell culture fluid containing the product. Conventional approaches for performing this unit operation utilize a combination of depth filtration, centrifugation, and membrane filtration. These technologies utilize differences in density and in size as the principles of separation. As cell culture processes are intensified to yield higher cell densities and product titers, the ability to effectively harvest the cell culture fluid with the consistency and scalability required becomes challenging.
Thermo Fisher is an authorized reseller of the 3M Harvest RC Chromatographic Clarifier. The system utilizes fibrous anion exchange (AEX) chromatography to efficiently separate cells, cell debris, and DNA from the harvest fluid containing the target product. Precision quaternary ammonium (Q) functionalized polypropylene fiber, combined with a 0.2 µm PES membrane, provides predictable clarification that is scalable from discovery to commercial manufacturing.
The Chromatographic Clarifier reduces the complex depth filtration process from three steps to a single step, to help reduce time, cost, and risk.
- Capsule format enables typical product recoveries of ≥95%
- Replaces primary, secondary, and guard membrane clarification stages
- Predictably scales from discovery to manufacturing in terms of clarification consistency and cell loading capacity
- Capsules fit into laboratory to manufacturing scale workflows
- Lower total cost of manufacturing compared to centrifugation and depth filtration
- No post-use cleaning required, which means that there is no use of caustic or potentially toxic clean-in-place (CIP) agents
- Lower consumption of buffer and water compared to depth filtration
*3M is a trademark of 3M Company
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an authorized distributor of 3M Harvest RC.
Events & Webinars
For research use or further manufacturing. Not for diagnostic use or direct administration into humans or animals.