Open Architecture Single-Use Bioreactors
A flexible system to fit your choice of control unit
The Thermo ScientificTM Single-Use Bioreactor (S.U.B.) can be integrated with any controller system available on the market today. The open-architecture single-use bioreactor system combines elements of stirred-tank systems with the efficiencies in turnaround, cleanup and validation found in single-use processing.
The open architecture S.U.B. systems are offered without an integral full control system (e.g., for pH and dissolved oxygen), allowing economical and rapid replacement of the vessel in an existing bioreactor system with an S.U.B. This also allows customers to choose their own control unit for a new system implementation.
Utilizing S.U.B. hardware, our proven bioprocess containers (BPCs), and a choice of control options, the single-use bioreactor can help get you into production quickly. Our portfolio of single-use bioreactors also includes our turnkey single-use bioreactors, designed to be complete turnkey bioprocessing solutions, and featuring a choice in integrated controller systems.
Our open architecture single-use bioreactors incorporate an S.U.B. BPC — a fully functional bioreactor vessel enabling single-use mixing, venting, sparging, and temperature sensing. Ports are also provided for monitoring, sampling, and liquid transfers.
The unique proprietary mixing system offers directly coupled overhead agitation, while maintaining sterility and integrity. A reusable outer support structure provides a mixing motor, heating, cooling (in jacketed units), a control unit for integration with external control systems and a mobile cart frame (in most models).
Key system features and advantages:
- Integrate with any control platform on the market.
- Avoid the costs of investing in another control system.
- Classical geometry and ratios.
- Scalability from small to large volume sizes.
- System-tested in various bioprocessing configurations.
- Fully customizable to your production systems.
- Minimal cleaning or sterilization, apart from traditional monitoring probes.
- Shorter lead-time.
- Helps reduce risk of cross-contamination.
- Plug-and-play through standard disposable connectors.
- Used in research and development (R & D) and process development (PD) applications.
- Used in cGMP manufacturing.
Components of open architecture single-use bioreactors
The open architecture single-use bioreactor system consists of three primary components:
- Outer support container—Available with a mixing motor, load cells (standard on some models, available on all), casters (on most models) and electrical or water-jacketed heating systems.
- Single-use bioreactor BioProcess Container—The BPC is the single-use consumable required for use with the bioreactor hardware. It is supplied sterile and ready-to-use, and comes complete with the agitator (impeller) assembly, spargers, vent filter, sensor ports and/or sensors, and line sets for media, supplements and harvest.
- Control system for agitation and temperature—Can be integrated with a customer’s choice of controllers.
Have questions about ssingle-use technologies, GibcoTM media, POROSTM chromatography resins, Applied BiosystemsTM SEQ rapid contaminant tests, or our Cell Therapy Systems products? Click below to access product brochures, training videos, mobile apps and more.