Expand research capabilities and automated function
Upgrade your Thermo Scientific ArrayScan instrument by using modules to add liquid handling, brightfield, emission filter wheel, live cell, LED light engine, and plate loading robot capabilities.
ArrayScan Brightfield Module
Add the capability of transmitted light to perform multi-mode, label-free high-content analysis using Thermo Scientific Brightfield Module for ArrayScan instruments.
Add the capability of transmitted light to perform multi-mode, label-free high content analysis using the Thermo Scientific ArrayScan Brightfield Module for the Thermo Scientific ArrayScan HCA Readers. The ArrayScan Brightfield Module is an affordable option that adds transmitted light to high content screening (HCS) experiments. It allows imaging for confirmation of cell density or fluorescent probe localization while avoiding destructive labeling techniques. Quantitate morphological features on images with or without fluorescent markers. The ArrayScan Brightfield Module has integrated software control to capture, focus, and analyze transmitted light images at single or multiple timepoints. Compatible with multiple plate types, cell lines and magnifications, the ArrayScan Brightfield Module can be used as an additional channel or on its own.
- Flexible transmitted light module permits imaging on multiple plate types, cell lines and magnifications
- Color composites can be used to verify location of fluorescent targets within a cell or organism
- Brightfield module is fully integrated with the ArrayScan HCA Reader software (Thermo Scientific HCS Studio Software) enabling the capture, analysis, and visualization of transmitted light images interleaved with fluorescence images at single or multiple time points
|Compatibility||Thermo Scientific ArrayScan HCA Readers|
|ArrayScan Brightfield Module||1 kit||N010115A||Request a quote|
ArrayScan Confocal and Objective Module
Increase optical resolution to image multidimensional structures for clearer high-content imaging and analysis using this confocal module.
Multidimensional structures can be imaged more clearly, yielding more detailed information and deeper understanding about biological change using the ArrayScan VTI/XTI HCA Readers and integrated CrEST X-Light Confocal Scan Head (Figure 1). Featuring the latest in high-speed Nipkow spinning disk technology and a variable pinhole, the ArrayScan Confocal and Objective Module enables finer control over image acquisition across a range of objectives (magnifications) in order to balance image quality and performance for the most demanding cell biology experiments; e.g., stem cell colonies, tissues, and 3D microenvironments.
Traditional confocal technology is only valuable at higher magnifications. However, the variable pinhole technology incorporated into X-Light Confocal Scan Head overcomes this limitation to bring the advantages of confocal imaging even at lower magnifications, which is ideal for tissues and complex morphologies such as angiogenic tubes, neurons, and stem cell colonies. Unlike other suppliers' systems, the X-Light Confocal Scan Heads are also integrated with our 4-color and 7-color LED Light Engines, bringing robust, laser-like performance without the complications and cost of lasers and the need for alignment of camera, confocal, and laser.
Figure 1. Imaging angiogenic tubes. Tissue samples were imaged in the FITC Channel and two, 2 μm thick Z-slice images were captured for projection. Left panel shows a maximum projection using widefield imaging.Right panel shows a maximum projection using the X-Light Confocal Scan Head.
- Flexibility in hardware—next-generation CARV disk with high-speed Nipkow design with 40 μm and 70 μm pinholes for low- and high-NA flexibility; dual patterned disk allows you to define different confocal resolutions depending on the sample type; the system also enables you to image widefield and confocal in one run
- Simple—four-color or seven-color LED light engine for solid-state illumination; eliminate the need for frequent laser alignment; LED is designed to be more efficient at getting light to the sample compared to light bulb-based technology
- Retrofittable—build upon your current ArrayScan VTI/XTI HCA Reader investment and add new functionality
(of ArrayScan HCA Reader including module)
|Height: 50.8 cm (20.0 in)
Width: 96.8 cm (38.1 in)
Depth: 87.6 cm (34.5 in)
|Pinholes||40 μm and 70 μm software switchable|
|Spinning disk||10,000 RPM Dual Patterned Nipkow Spinning Disk|
|Weight||41 kg (90 lb)|
Product specifications sheet
ArrayScan Confocal and Objective Module selection guide
|4-Color LED Confocal and Objective Module||7-Color LED Confocal and Objective Module|
|Compatible with ArrayScan VTI/XTI Readers (600-800 series) with 5-color widefield LED/EXFO||
|Compatible with ArrayScan VTI/XTI Readers (600-800 series) with 7-color widefield LED||
|Confocal LED colors (Ex/Em, in nm)||
|Notes||4-color confocal LED capable of imaging in the blue, green, red, and far red emission ranges; for the ArrayScan HCA Readers having an EXFO light source or 5-color widefield LED||
7-color confocal LED capable of imaging in the blue, cyan, green, yellow, orange-red, scarlet, and far red emission ranges; for ArrayScan HCA Readers having 7-color widefield LED
|Request a quote||Request a quote|
ArrayScan Emission Filter Wheel Module
Obtain clear, spectrally distinct images for high-content analysis by adding custom filters using this emission filter wheel module.
Obtain clear, spectrally distinct images for high content analysis by adding custom filters to Thermo Scientific ArrayScan HCA Readers using Thermo Scientific ArrayScan Emission Filter Wheel Module.
- Automated specificity—Permits more flexibility in spectral combinations allowing for imaging of more custom fluorochromes. May reduce background and increase signal-to-noise when fitted with appropriate filters
- Integrated—Integrated with software and validated for performance for simple setup and customization. Filter turret controlled from protocol software allowing automatic change during plate run
- Rapid filter switching—Rapid turret movement with switching time of 300 ms between cubes
Key addressable assays
- FRET (fluorescence resonance energy transfer)—FRET is when a donor color molecule (chromophore), in its excited state, can transfer some of its energy (the donor) to another chromophore resulting in a much brighter signal in the acceptor. It is used in studying protein-protein interactions.
- Qdot probes—Tiny semiconductor crystals that can be designed to excite and emit at very specific wavelengths. Cells and structures can be labeled with these and structure identified for analysis
- Live-cell applications—May be used with optical density filters to attenuate light to avoid phototoxicity whenever more spectral discrimination is needed
|Compatibility||Compatible with other ArrayScan Modules for increased functionality|
|Emission filter wheel||Corresponding emission filters in the six position emission filter wheel to match the combination of one penta-band, one tri-band, one dual-band and two single band dichroics|
|Empty filter cube||Additional cube supplied to use for custom filter combination|
|ArrayScan Emission Filter Wheel Module||1 each||N010119||Request a quote|
ArrayScan Liquid Handling Module
Add liquid handling and on-board pipetting capabilities to the Thermo Scientific ArrayScan Readers using the Thermo Scientific ArrayScan Liquid Handling Module.
Capture cellular phenotypes and responses of rapidly developing biological processes. Liquid handling and on-board pipetting enables the direct measurement of quickly developing biologies, kinetic studies of biology and combination target studies resulting in comprehensive pharmacological data down to the individual cell level. This module is designed to work with the Thermo Scientific ArrayScan Live Cell Module, expanding the breadth of cell processes that can be monitored. Full function aspirate, dispense, and mixing are available from 4 deck locations. The module is capable of single tip aspirate and dispense at any location, creating a highly flexible instrument. Compatible with 96- and 384-well plates, the Liquid Handling Module utilizes disposable tips with a dispense volume range of 3–200 μL.
- Compatible with 96- and 384-well plates, the module utilizes disposable tips with a dispense volume range of 3–200 μL
- Full function liquid handling from any plate or trough
- Industry standard arm with single pipette tip driven by syringe pump (e.g., aspirate, dispense)
- Compatible with all ArrayScan Modules
- Interchangeable with the ArrayScan Brightfield Module
- Dynamic access to compound and assay plate
- One-to-many and many-to-one transfer scenarios are supported
|Ambient temperature operating range||Permissible range during operation: 18° to 25°C|
|Compatibility||ArrayScan HCA Readers|
|Deck positions||3 plate and 1 quarter trough|
|Description||Automated, single-tip, liquid handling robot module for the ArrayScan instrument using disposable tips (standard and liquid level sensing) to both aspirate and dispense from multiple deck and live cell chamber locations|
(of ArrayScan™ HCA Reader including module)
|Height: 109.22 cm (43 in)
Width: 87.63 cm (34.5 in)
Depth: 74 cm (29 in)
|Microplate type||SBS conforming plates, up to 384-well; 6–22 mm plate height|
|Operating humidity range||75% at 30°C|
|Relative humidity||Permissible relative humidity during operation (non-condensing): less than 75% at 30°C|
|Software||Compatible with Thermo Scientific HCS Studio Cell Analysis Software|
|Volume dispense||3–200 µL ( ± 5% in 1 µL increments)|
|Wattage||150 W (+500 W from ArrayScan Reader)|
|Weight||59 kg (130 lb)|
|ArrayScan Liquid Handling Module||1 each||N010117A||Request a quote|
ArrayScan Live Cell Module
Control temperature, carbon dioxide, and humidity levels to provide a tissue-culture, incubator-like environment for the imaging of live cells using this live cell module.
The ArrayScan Live Cell Module provides complete quantitative, kinetic, live-cell imaging and analysis for Thermo Scientific ArrayScan HCA Readers. Study the dynamics of intracellular molecular interactions and cell motion in an environment similar to that of a tissue culture incubator. The ArrayScan Live Cell Module offers full control of temperature, carbon dioxide, and humidity levels to maintain cell health and viability, helping to ensure more reliable results.
- Full environmental control—complete environmental control (CO2, humidity, and temperature) with full reporting of CO2 and temperature over short or extended periods of time
- Kinetic capabilities—cell tracking with powerful kinetic analysis software provides numerous motility and kinetic calculations at the cell and well levels
- Focus on cell health—Zeiss™ Definite Focus is a hardware-based autofocus system that maintains focus and experimental reliability while supporting long-term imaging of live cells; phototoxicity is reduced by substituting software focusing with less harmful near-IR LED technology
|Autofocus system||Hardware-based Zeiss™ Definite Focus autofocus system|
Thermo Scientific ArrayScan HCA Readers
|CO2 mixed gas||Software controlled; 0 to 10% saturation with less than 0.1% variation measured across a plate; CO2 saturation recorded and reported through software at each time point|
|External control||Module: D x W x H: 56 x 33 x 36 cm control unit for temperature and CO2 control|
|Relative humidity||Maintains greater than 90% relative humidity|
|Software||Thermo Scientific HCS Studio Cell Analysis Software|
|Temperature control||Software controlled—ambient to 45°C; temperature variation is less than 0.5°C over 48 hours; temperature recorded and reported through the software at each time point|
|Thermo Scientific ArrayScan Live Cell Module||1 each||N010114A||Request a quote|
X1 Upgrade for ArrayScan VTI HCS Reader
Upgrade your ArrayScan VTI HCS Reader (600 and 700 series) with the new Photometrics X1 large field of view camera and computer.
The Thermo Scientific X1 Upgrade increases the capabilities of the current Thermo Scientific ArrayScan VTI High Content Reader with the new Photometrics X1 large field of view camera and the new high-performance Windows 7, 64-bit PC. With more resolution, a larger field-of-view and more powerful computing, the X1 Upgrade is an affordable way to advance the technology of one of the world’s most productive high-content readers.
- High sensitivity—by harnessing the photon-collecting power of the Sony™ SuperHAD microlens architecture, the X1 camera becomes ultra-sensitive without sacrificing resolution (4.5 μm/pixel)
- See more in fewer images—the cutting-edge X1 camera is the most powerful HCS imaging tool to boost quantitative performance; see more of the biology in fewer images with the enlarged 2,208 x 2,208 pixel array (Figure 2); by helping to ensure reliability and reproducibility, the X1 camera's CCD technology helps you have confidence in the data you collect
- Hardware designed for high throughput—processing of the data and images from the X1 camera is optimized with a powerful Windows™ 7, 64-bit PC with a quad core processor; speed and reliability are key when handling the large volume of images and data that high content generates, and the PC provides the processing speed and hardware reliability to get closer to answering the most important biological questions
Figure 2. Photometrics X1 Upgrade for ArrayScan VTI HCS Reader. Comparison of large field of view from Photometrics X1 compared to ORCA-R2 Camera standard field of view.
Key technological features
- Binning option applied before digitization, which reduces read noise and provides for a 4:1 signal-to-noise ratio
- Larger chip (2,208 x 2,208)
- Sony™ SuperHAD microlens architecture for light collection
- Background uniformity
- Increased speed with powerful Windows™ 7, 64-bit PC with a quad core processor
||Photometrics X1 CCD: High-resolution, thermo-electrically cooled to 0°C; 14-bit dynamic range; 2208 x 2208 pixel array; 4.54 micron pixel size; 75% peak Quantum Efficiency (QE); USB 2.0 (no additional CameraLink or FireWire Cards needed); 1x1, 2x2, or 4x4 binning options|
Product specifications sheet
|X1 Upgrade for ArrayScan VTI HCS Reader||1 each||N01X1SHTLAS||Request a quote|
For Research Use Only. Not for use in diagnostic procedures.