Bovine Serum (Calf Serum)
Bovine serum is available in a heat inactivated and non-heat inactivated format. In addition, we offer a donor bovine serum and a donor bovine serum with iron.
- HI serum is heated for 30 minutes at 56°C while mixing to inactivate the complement
- Donor bovine serum with iron contains a Ferric citrate complex at 6.0 mg/dl
- Cultivation of Plasmodium Falciparum - Neopeptone and proteose-peptone no.3 added together with calf serum gave parasite growth rates comparable to, or surpassing, those obtained with human serum2
Bovine with Iron:
- A viable alternative to fetal bovine serum (FBS) in the growth promotion and cloning efficiency of Chinese hamster ovary (CHO) cells that are used in the HGPRT mutation assay1
- Oberly, J., Rexroat, M., Richardson, R., Iron-supplemented bovine serum as an alternative… Toxicology Division, Lilly Research Laboratories, A Division of Eli Lilly and Company, Greenfield, IN 46140 U.S.A. Accepted 8 December 1989. Communicated by R.J. Preston. Available online 15 January 2003.
- Ifediba, T., Vanderberg, J. Peptomes and calf serum as a replacement… Division of Parasitology, Department of Microbiology, New York University medical School. 66(2) 1980, p. 236-239