A western blot of a dilution series of Jurkat lysate (10 µg to 4 ng) was probed with an anti-GAPDH primary antibody followed by a Qdot® 625 Donkey Anti-Rabbit Secondary Antibody. The blot was imaged on the E-Gel® Imager. When compared to a duplicate western blot detected using ECL followed by imaging on the Fuji FLA-9000 image scanner, the sensitivity was comparable.
The E-Gel® Imager is a compact, affordable, easy-to-use imaging system for stained gels and WesternDot® 625 probe–stained western blots. Equipped with a high-resolution digital camera, the E-Gel® system can be used to image gels incorporating fluorescent stains (e.g., ethidium bromide and SYBR® stains) or colorimetric stains (Coomassie™ and silver stains). Additionally, you can image western blots detected with the WesternDot® 625 detection kit reagents, avoiding the need for film processing. Setup is simple, and the system features intuitive software for band analysis.
High-quality imaging from a variety of gel types
The E-Gel® Imager is designed for the documentation and densitometric analysis of stained nucleic acids and proteins in agarose and polyacrylamide gels, including E-Gel® agarose gels and Novex® NuPAGE® acrylamide gels. In addition, the E-Gel® Imager may be used to image western blots that have been probed with WesternDot® 625 secondary antibodies.
Each E-Gel® Imager includes a camera hood and your choice of interchangeable bases:
- Blue Light Base—ideal for DNA stains such as SYBR® Safe stain and SYBR® Green stain, as well as for E-Gel® EX agarose gels
- UV Light Base—best for ethidium bromide–stained gels
- E-Gel® Adaptor Base—use with the E-Gel® Go!™ System or E-Gel® iBase™/E-Gel® Safe Imager System for real-time monitoring of gel progress
You may use either the Blue Light Base or the UV Light Base to image stained protein gels (including SimplyBlue™ Safe, SilverQuest™ Silver, SYPRO® Ruby, and Coomassie™ blue stains) by using the E-Gel® Imager White-Light Conversion Screen
Filter choice for optimum signal capture
Your choice of three interchangeable filters allows even greater flexibility to capture images from various stains—the orange “universal” filter; a green filter optimal for SYBR® Green and SYBR® Safe stains and for E-Gel® EX agarose gels; and an optional red filter for higher resolution when using Molecular Probes® Qdot® 625 probes.
Every E-Gel® Imager camera hood comes with a pre-installed orange (universal) filter. Users may remove the orange filter and replace with either a green or red filter, depending on the stain used.
E-Gel® Imager System with:
UV Light Base
Blue Light Base
E-Gel® Adaptor Base
|Nucleic acids||Agarose (incl. E-Gel® gels) and polyacrylamide gels||Ethidium bromide||✓✓✓✓|
|Proteins||Polyacrylamide gels||Colorimetric stains3||✓✓✓✓||✓✓✓✓|
|Western blots||Qdot® detection5||✓✓✓✓|
- SYBR® stains (i.e., SYBR® Green, SYBR® Safe, and SYBR® Gold stains) are excited most optimally with blue light. If using UV light to excite SYBR® stains, the E-Gel® Imager UV/SYBR® Filter will also be required.
- E-Gel® gels may be visualized on the UV Light Base (ethidium bromide, SYBR® Safe, or SYBR® Gold stained gels), Blue Light Base (SYBR® Safe or SYBR® Gold stained gels), or E-Gel® Adaptor Base (SYBR® Safe or SYBR® Gold stained gels). If you’re using the E-Gel® Adaptor Base, an E-Gel® iBase and an E-Gel® Safe Imager (or combo kit of those items) will also be required.
- The E-Gel® Imager White-Light Conversion Screen is required for viewing DNA gels stained with SilverQuest™ Silver Stain for DNA, and protein gels stained with SimplyBlue™ Safe Stain, SilverQuest™ Silver Stain, and Coomassie™ Blue Stain.
- Protein gels with stains such as SYPRO® Ruby may be visualized on the E-Gel® Imager System with the UV Light Base.
- For higher-resolution imaging results, the E-Gel® Imager Qdot® 625 Filter may be used for imaging western blots probed with Qdot® probes, such as WesternDot® 625 secondary antibodies with VIVID® technology.
E-Gel® Imager Software
The GelQuant™ Express Analysis Software and GelCapture™ Acquisition Software applications integrate seamlessly with the E-Gel® Imager System to provide you with all the applications, functions, and tools for analyzing captured images and data, including densitometric analysis (based on a standard). Both software applications are included with each E-Gel® Imager System.
- Find out more about the E-Gel® Imager Software applications
Excellent detection of target proteins with WesternDot® 625 secondary antibodies
The E-Gel® Imager (with either the orange or red filter) can image WesternDot® secondary antibody–probed blots with sensitivity that is comparable to that observed using enhanced chemiluminescence (ECL)–based western blot detection. WesternDot® secondary antibodies incorporate Qdot® probes enhanced with VIVID® technology, which results in a brighter signal than with the previous-generation Qdot® reagents.
- Faster time-to-results—eliminate cumbersome HRP and ECL optimization
- Cost savings—image the blot directly; no more films to process
- Blot signals stable for weeks to months—obtain multiple exposures without significant reduction in signal
Learn more about WesternDot® 625 secondary antibodies:
Western blot detection using (A) WesternDot® secondary antibodies utilizes a more streamlined protocol and results in a more stable signal compared to (B) ECL detection.
|Dimensions (W x D x H)||Hood (20.3 x 28.4 x 36.5 cm)|
|Base (21.4 x 30.4 x 11.9 cm)|
|Viewing dimensions (W x D)||12 x 15 cm|
|Excitation light source||UV light–312 nm|
|Blue light–470 nm|
|Power||110 or 220 VAC; 50–60 Hz|
|Resolution||1,296 (H) x 964(V); 1.3 megapixels|
|Dynamic range||56.77 DB|
|Exposure time||0.01 milliseconds to 10 seconds|
|Super bright lens||F/1.4 improved lens|
|Optical zoom 6-12 mm|
|Field of view||11 x 14 cm|
|Emission filter||Orange filter (ethidium bromide and SYBR® Safe DNA Gel Stain)|
|Green filter (Fluorescein, SYBR® Gold, SYBR® Green)|
|Red filter (Qdot® 625)|
|Image capture||GelCapture™ Acquisition Software
|1D image analysis||GelQuant™ Express Analysis Software
|Operating system||Windows® XP Professional (English version, SP3, 32-bit), OR
Windows® 7 Professional (English version, 32-bit), Windows 8.1
|Processor||Intel® Core™2 Duo, 1.8 GHz|
|Memory||Minimum 1 GB RAM (2 GB recommended)|
- NEW Nucleic Acid Purification and Analysis Support Center: Find tips, troubleshooting help, and resources for your nucleic acid purification & analysis applications.
- Manuals & Protocols
- E-Gel® Imager System & Software FAQs