Labware Definitions for Invitrogen's E-Gel® 96 Agarose Electrophoresis System on Beckman Coulter's Biomek® FX Robot
Labware Definition Download Instructions
- Obtain a copy of the Biomek® FX software version 2.0 or higher from Beckman Coulter, Inc.
Download the E-Gel96 FX.imp file to your robot’s computer. This import file contains the deck layout and Labware definitions for four different methods.
- E_Gel96 is used when pipetting with the multichannel head.
- E_Gel96_Span8 is used when pipetting with the Span 8 head.
- Note: It has been our experience that pipetting is more robust when using four probes at a time rather than eight. If you choose to use the E_Gel96_Span8 definition with 8 probes, fine-tuning may be necessary to accurately hit all 8 wells of the gel at a time.
- E_Gel96Mother_DaughterBase is used when loading E-Gel® 96 gels and electrophoresing directly on the robotic platform.
- E_Gel96HolderBase is used when using E-Gel® 96 holders rather than E-Gel® 96 mother or daughter bases to hold the E-Gel® 96 gels in place while pipetting robotically.
- Install the E-Gel® 96 base definitions on your computer by importing the Labware as follows. Using the Biomek® FX software version 2.0 or higher, choose Import/Export Utility available under the Tools menu.
- Select Open.
- Select the directory where the import file (.imp) is located and choose Open.
- Open the Labware folder by selecting the + next to the desired file on the Import File side.
Drag and drop the desired setting(s) to the Current Workspace side of the Import/Export Utility.
- Note: Dragging an entire folder will copy all of the settings in that folder. You can then choose to overwrite or not overwrite each individual setting.
Repeat step 7 as necessary until all desired settings have been imported.
- Note: Once you import the definitions, you may need to make minor modifications to account for slight variations among individual robots. Before you begin, please review the following recommendations:
- Use an old gel or empty cassette to test the positioning of the probes.
- You may need to modify the X-offset depending on how far you push the E-Gel® 96 mother/daughter base or E-Gel® 96 holder into the base brackets.
- There may be variations on the Y-axis depending if the gel is pushed towards the top edge or the lower edge of the base.
- If you use the multichannel definition, be sure to properly align the probes. If the probes are not aligned properly, for example if they crash a probe, you may have some problems dispensing to the plate consistently.
- No matter where the E-Gel® 96 mother/daughter base is placed on the deck, you cannot place Labware in the position in front or behind it.
- You can access the position behind the E-Gel® 96 holder with the 96-channel pod with P200 tips or the Span-8. You still cannot access positions in front of the E-Gel® 96 holder.
- To use the E-Gel® 96 definitions on the Biomek® FX robot, simply drag and drop the desired base definition onto the worksurface of the Biomek® FX in the Instrument Setup step.
- Choose the desired pipetting head and drag the appropriate E-Gel® 96 definition to sit atop the appropriate base.
Note: When placing the E-Gel® 96 bases on a Biomek® Automated Labware Positioner (ALP), position the bases in the upper right corner of the ALP. This will allow the Biomek® to reliably access the E-Gel® 96 system.
A demonstration method, E-Gel Demo.bmt is provided here to demonstrate loading E-Gel® 96 gels with the Span-8 and multichannel 96 pod on the Biomek® FX Hybrid robot. To run this method, select Open in the File menu of the Biomek® FX software version 2.0 or higher. The deck used for the demo is also provided as an import file, EGel96Deck.imp, which can be imported using the Import/Export Utility available under the Tools menu in the Biomek® FX software. The E-Gel96 Deck.imp will appear in your workspace and be available as a deck selection in the Instrument Setup step. After selecting the method and the appropriate deck, you can view or run the method in the simulation mode.
View the Biomek® FX robot loading E-Gel® 96 gels.
For questions regarding use of the Biomek® FX robot, please contact the Beckman Coulter Call Center at 714-792-3474 or Invitrogen’s Technical Support at 1-800-955-6288 ext.2.
Biomek® is a registered trademark of Beckman Coulter, Inc.