Cryopreservation is the optimal choice for the preservation and long-term storage of algae since it minimizes genetic drift, facilitates strain and clone exchange between labs, and helps reduces labor and costs. The GeneArt® Cryopreservation Kit for Algae can be used to preserve algal strains and clones for storage at –80°C for at least 2 years, thus eliminating liquid nitrogen storage and continuous cultures as a way to maintain your clones.
Simply grow your cells in the presence of Cryopreservation Reagent A for 2–5 days, harvest, resuspend in Cryopreservation Reagent B, and freeze a small aliquot in one of two recommended freezing containers* at –80°C. The GeneArt® Cryopreservation Kit for Algae has been used to preserve Chlamydomonas and Chlorella strains with up to 100% recovery after thawing.
- Preserve Chlamydomonas and Chlorella strains and clones for –80°C storage
- Eliminate liquid nitrogen storage
- Minimize contamination and genetic drift
- Exchange clones between labs by shipping on dry ice
* The following freezing containers have been used successfully with the GeneArt® Cryopreservation Kit for Algae:
- Thermo Scientific™ Nalgene™ Mr. Frosty Freezing Container
- Biocision® CoolCell® FTS30 Cell Freezing Container
Fresh Chlamydomonas culture (blue) grown in TAP growth medium and Chlamydomonas cultures previously frozen (green and red lines) using the GeneArt® Cryopreservation Kit for Algae and resuscitated in TAP growth medium following the manufacturer’s recommendations were monitored at OD750 over an 80-hour period (50 µE, 24°C, 110 rpm shaker). Growth was consistent in all three conditions, demonstrating the utility of the GeneArt® Cryopreservation Kit for Algae to produce frozen Chlamydomonas samples that, when resuscitated, have growth characteristics similar to those of fresh aliquots. Similar results were observed with Chlorella (wild type and transformants, data not shown).
For Research Use Only. Not for use in diagnostic procedures.