NuPAGE Bis-Tris Precast Gels
Invitrogen™ NuPAGE™ Bis-Tris gels are precast polyacrylamide gels designed to give optimal separation of small to medium-sized proteins during gel electrophoresis. NuPAGE Bis-Tris gels have a neutral pH environment that minimizes protein modifications resulting in sharper bands without typical gel "smiling" (Figure 1). NuPAGE Bis-Tris gels can be used for sequencing, mass spectrometry, and any other application in which protein integrity is crucial.
NuPAGE Bis-Tris gels are designed to allow:
- Separation of a wide range of molecular weight proteins
- Preservation of protein sample integrity
- Faster run times (completed in as little as 35 minutes)
- A longer shelf life (16 months* at room temperature without loss of performance)
- Using gels from another company? Use the product selection guide to find our equivalent
Choose the right NuPAGE Bis-Tris gel
|Number of wells||Gel thickness||Gel percentage||Gel sizes|
Find the right minigel using our interactive gel selection tool.
Figure 1. Side-by-side comparison of Bis-Tris gels.
A. Bio-Rad Criterion™ XT 4-12% Bis-Tris Gel w/ MOPS, and B. NuPAGE Novex 4–12% Bis-Tris Midi Gel w/ MOPS. Each lane contains 5 µL Invitrogen™ Mark12™ Unstained Standard.
Getting started with NuPAGE Bis-Tris gels
Get optimal separation of your proteins by choosing the right combination of gel and running buffer. Available concentrations, sizes, and buffer systems are given below.
NuPAGE Bis-Tris mini gels are available in 3 different polyacrylamide concentrations: 10%, 12%, and 4–12% gradient. We also offer 8% gels in the midi gel format.
NuPAGE Bis-Tris gels are available as mini gels (10 cm x 10 cm) and midi gels (8.7 cm x 13.3 cm). Both mini gels and midi gels are available with 1.0 mm gel thickness. The 1.5 mm gel thickness is only available with the mini gel format. For loading volumes, see Recommended Well Loading Volumes & Sample Loads.
NuPAGE Bis-Tris gels are Bis-Tris-HCl buffered (pH 6.4) and have an operating pH of about 7.0. All of the gels can be run using either NuPAGE® MES SDS or NuPAGE® MOPS SDS running buffer to obtain different separation ranges.
Proteins (14–200 kDa)
Use NuPAGE Bis-Tris Gels with NuPAGE® MOPS SDS Running Buffer to resolve proteins (14–200 kDa).
Small molecular weight proteins (2–200 kDa)
Use NuPAGE Bis-Tris Gels with NuPAGE® MES SDS Running Buffer to resolve small molecular weight proteins (2–200 kDa).
The NuPAGE Bis-Tris discontinuous buffer system involves three ions:
- Chloride (–) from the gel buffer and serves as a leading ion due to its high affinity to the anode relative to other anions in the system. The gel buffer ions are Bis-Tris+ and Cl– (pH 6.4).
- MES or MOPS (–) serve as the trailing ion in the running buffer. The running buffer ions are Tris+, MOPS-/MES–, and dodecylsulfate- (pH 7.3–7.7).
- Bis-Tris (+) is the common ion present in the gel buffer and running buffer. The combination of the lower pH gel buffer (pH 6.4) and the running buffer (pH 7.3–7.7) results in a significantly lower operating pH of 7 during electrophoresis.
For Research Use Only. Not for use in diagnostic procedures.