NuPAGE® Tris-Acetate gels are precast polyacrylamide gels designed to give optimal separation of large molecular weight proteins during gel electrophoresis when used with NuPAGE® Tris-Acetate SDS Running Buffer. NuPAGE® Tris-Acetate gels can also be run with Novex® Tris-Glycine Native Running Buffer to resolve native proteins more effectively than the Tris-Glycine gel system. In comparison to traditional Tris-Glycine SDS-PAGE gels, NuPAGE® Tris-Acetate gels have a pH 8.1 environment that minimizes protein modifications and results in sharper bands.
NuPAGE Tris-Acetate gels and buffers are designed to allow:
- Separation of a wide range of molecular weight proteins
- Preservation of protein sample integrity using optimized sample preparation processes
- A longer shelf life with more convenient storage options (8 months at 4º C without loss of performance)
- Using gels from another company? Use the product selection guide to find our equivalent
|Number of wells||Gel thickness||Gel percentage||Gel sizes|
Find the right minigel using our interactive gel selection tool.
Getting started with NuPAGE® Tris-Acetate gels
Get optimal separation of your proteins by choosing the right combination of gel and running buffer. Here is brief summary of the available configurations. See “Choose the right NuPAGE® Tris-Acetate gel” above to get the specific product ordering information.
NuPAGE® Tris-Acetate gels are available in 2 different polyacrylamide concentrations: 7% and 3–8% gradient. We also offer 8% gels in the midi gel format.
NuPAGE® Tris-Acetate gels are available in different two sizes: mini gels (10 cm x 10 cm) and midi gels (8.7 cm x 13.3 cm). Both mini gels and midi gels are available with 1.0 mm gel thickness but the 1.5 mm gel thickness is available only with the mini gel format. NuPAGE® Tris-Acetate gels also come in multiple-well formats. For loading volumes, see Recommended Well Loading Volumes & Sample Loads.
Use NuPAGE® Tris-Acetate gels with NuPAGE® Tris-Acetate SDS Running Buffer to resolve high molecular weight proteins (36–400 kDa) under denaturing conditions, or with Novex® Tris-Glycine Native Running Buffer to resolve high molecular weight proteins under non-denaturing (native) conditions.
The NuPAGE® Tris-Acetate discontinuous buffer system involves three ions:
- Acetate (–) from the gel buffer and serves as a leading ion due to its high affinity to the anode relative to other anions in the system. The gel buffer ions are Tris+ and Acetate– (pH 7.0).
- Tricine (–) from the running buffer serves as the trailing ion. The running buffer ions are Tris+, Tricine–, and dodecylsulfate– (pH 8.3).
- Tris (+) is the common ion present in the gel buffer and running buffer. The Tris-Acetate system also operates at a significantly lower operating pH of 8.1 during electrophoresis.
Resources for Novex® Tris-Glycine gels
For Research Use Only. Not for use in diagnostic procedures.