NuPAGE Tris-Acetate Gels are designed to give optimal separation of large molecular weight proteins during gel electrophoresis. In comparison to traditional tris-glycine SDS-PAGE gels, NuPAGE Tris-Acetate Gels have an environment of pH 8.1, which minimizes protein modifications and results in sharper bands.
Features of NuPAGE Tris-Acetate Gels include:
- High resolution—gels offer optimal separation of high molecular weight proteins
- Better protein integrity—sample preparation process has been optimized to help preserve your proteins
- Longer shelf life—gels can be stored for at least 8 months
NuPAGE Tris-Acetate Gels do not contain SDS and so can be used to separate proteins in native or denatured form. For denatured proteins, we recommend using LDS sample buffer and tris-acetate SDS running buffer. For native proteins, traditional tris-glycine native sample buffer and a tris-glycine native running buffer should be used.
The NuPAGE Tris-Acetate Gels use a discontinuous buffer system involving three ions:
- Acetate (–) is from the gel buffer and serves as a leading ion due to its high affinity to the anode relative to other anions in the system. The gel buffer ions are tris (+) and acetate (–) (pH 7.0).
- Tricine (–) is from the running buffer and serves as the trailing ion. The running buffer ions are tris (+), tricine (–) and dodecylsulfate (pH 8.3).
- Tris (+) is the common ion present in the gel buffer and running buffer. The tris-acetate system also operates at a significantly lower operating pH of 8.1 during electrophoresis.
|Available gel sizes||Mini: 8 cm x 8 cm (1 or 1.5 mm thick)
Midi: 8 cm x 13 cm (1 mm thick)
|Storage conditions||Room temperature|
|Shelf life||8 months|
|Recommended sample buffer||LDS sample buffer or native tris-glycine sample buffer|
|Recommended running buffers||Tris-acetate running buffer|
|Available polyacrylamide concentrations||7%, 3–8%|
|Separation range (denaturing)||30–500 kDa|
|For use with (equipment) mini gels||Mini Gel Tank or XCell SureLock Mini-Cell|
|For use with (equipment) midi gels||Bio-Rad Criterion (with adapters only) or Invitrogen XCell4 SureLock Midi-Cell|
|Mode of separation||Molecular weight|
Currently using Tris-glycine or Tricine gels? Use the NuPAGE Gel conversion guide below to find the appropriate NuPAGE gel and corresponding optimized buffer.
NuPAGE Gel conversion guide
|If you are using:||Then we recommend NuPAGE gel:||Buffer system|
|4%||NuPAGE 3-8% Tris-Acetate||Tris-Acetate|
|6%||NuPAGE 3-8% Tris-Acetate||Tris-Acetate|
|10%||NuPAGE 8% Bis-Tris||MOPS|
|NuPAGE 10% Bis-Tris||MOPS|
|12%||NuPAGE 10% Bis-Tris||MOPS|
|14%||NuPAGE 12% Bis-Tris||MOPS|
|16%||NuPAGE 12% Bis-Tris||MES|
|18%||NuPAGE 12% Bis-Tris||MES|
|4-12%||NuPAGE 3-8% Tris-Acetate||Tris-Acetate|
|NuPAGE 4-12% Bis-Tris||MOPS|
|4-20%||NuPAGE 4-12% Bis-Tris||MES|
|8-16%||NuPAGE 4-12% Bis-Tris||MOPS|
|10-20%||NuPAGE 12% Bis-Tris||MOPS|
|10%||NuPAGE 8% Bis-Tris||MES|
|NuPAGE 10% Bis-Tris||MES|
|16%||NuPAGE 4-12% Bis-Tris||MES|
|10-20%||NuPAGE 4-12% Bis-Tris||MES|
For Research Use Only. Not for use in diagnostic procedures.