Thermo Scientific Slide-A-Lyzer Dialysis Cassettes and Flasks offer an easy-to-use and convenient alternative to dialysis tubing for samples of a variety of volumes (from 1–250 mL) and molecular weight cutoffs (MWCOs). With rigid, free-standing frames, large-surface-area regenerated cellulose membranes, and a locking cap, these devices allow for easy sample loading/retrieval while offering enhanced efficiency and sample security for your dialysis experiments.
The newest generation of Slide-A-Lyzer, the G3 features a more compact shape, improved self-flotation, significantly less plastic waste and a new, secure cap design with wider opening that allows for easier loading and retrieval with serological pipette. They are available in five volume capacities and in 2K, 3.5K, 10K, and 20K MWCOs.
Choose the right Slide-A-Lyzer G3 dialysis cassette for your experiments
|MWCO||1–3 mL||5–15 mL||10–30 mL||25–70 mL||50–125 mL|
|10K (gamma irradiated)||Slide-A-Lyzer G3|
3 mL/10K (gamma irradiated)
15 mL/10K (gamma irradiated)
30 mL/10K (gamma irradiated)
70 mL/10K (gamma irradiated)
125 mL/10K (gamma irradiated)
Three generations of dialysis innovation
The new, third generation G3 Slide-A-Lyzer features the following design improvements over previous generations:
- Improved ergonomics—A new re-designed frame that is lighter and significantly more compact than previous generations, making it easier to handle for loading and retrieval.
- New cap design—The all new, quarter-turn cap is designed to be opened easily without disturbing the sample while at the same time offering secure closure with visual and haptic closure feedback. The cap opening is significantly wider offering easier sample access, an injection port is also integrated within the cap as an additional means of sample loading and retrieval.
- Increased collection angle—The bottom chamber angle has been increased to allow for more efficient retrieval of dialyzed sample by pipette, reducing potential sample loss.
- Self-flotation—The Slide-A-Lyzer G3 cassette, like the G2 before it, is designed to float independently without the use of external buoys. This design has been further improved to ensure a more stable vertical orientation in the dialysis buffer, allowing for more efficient dialysis conditions.
- Greener by design—The Slide-A-Lyzer G3 features up to a 68% reduction in plastic waste compared to previous generations while offering the same secure, high-performance dialysis. To this end, it has been included as part of our sustainable product design portfolio of products, a suite of research solutions that have been designed to reduce environmental impact.
See how they work:
Slide-A-Lyzer G2 dialysis cassettes provide convenience, flexibility, and performance for sample dialysis. These second-generation (G2) Slide-A-Lyzer dialysis cassettes are free-standing, self-floating, and pipette-loadable.
Sample loading and removal are easily accomplished using a serological pipette or hypodermic needle (optional) attached to a syringe (Figure 1). The built-in air chamber provides sample buoyancy and vertical orientation of the cassette during dialysis. Slide-A-Lyzer G2 Dialysis Cassettes are available in five volume capacities and in 2K, 3.5K, 7K, 10K, and 20K MWCOs.
Choose the right Slide-A-Lyzer G2 cassette for your experiments
|MWCO||0.25–0.5 mL||1–3 mL||5–15 mL||10–30 mL||25–70 mL|
|Not available||Not available||Not available|
0.5 mL/10K (gamma)
3 mL/10K (gamma)
15 mL/10K (gamma)
30 mL/10K (gamma)
70 mL/10K (gamma)
Learn more about Slide-A-Lyzer G2 dialysis cassettes
Figure 1. Easy sample loading and recovery. Samples can be loaded into a Slide-A-Lyzer G2 Dialysis Cassette with either a syringe or with a pipette through the unique sample port. The Slide-A-Lyzer Cassette design allows air to be removed from inside the cassette to maximize the surface area-to-volume ratio, providing better dialysis performance than dialysis tubing and tube-based systems. The sample is easily recovered through either the pipette or syringe sample ports.
Slide-A-Lyzer Dialysis Cassettes help facilitate the rapid and effective dialysis of sample volumes ranging from 100 μL to 30 mL. The cassette design helps maximize surface area to sample volume ratio and enables excellent sample recoveries.
In comparison to standard flat tubing, these innovative cassettes do not require knots or clips that may lead to leaking and sample loss, helping to obtain more complete sample recovery. They are available in four volume capacities and in MWCOs of 2K, 3.5K, 7K, 10K, and 20K.
Choose your Slide-A-Lyzer cassette by volume and MWCO
|MWCO||0.1–0.5 mL||0.5–3 mL||3–12 mL||10–30 mL|
0.5 mL/10K (gamma)
3 mL/10K (gamma)
12 mL/10K (gamma)
30 mL/10K (gamma)
Learn more about Slide-A-Lyzer cassettes
Table 1. Quantitative sample recovery.
Three sample volume batches of water (0.5 mL, 1.7 mL, and 3.0 mL) were loaded and recovered per the respective manufacturer’s instructions in a Slide-A-Lyzer Dialysis Cassette or conventional dialysis tubing to determine the volumes of recovery. Water volume recovered was determined gravimetrically.
|Sample volume loaded||Slide-A-Lyzer dialysis cassette % volume recovery||Traditional dialysis tubing % volume recovery|
Thermo Scientific Slide-A-Lyzer cassette procedure summary
1. Insert syringe needle through the gasket via one of the corner ports. Inject the sample, withdraw the excess air and remove the syringe.
2. Attach a float buoy and dialyze. (Buoys also serve as convenient bench-top stands for the cassettes.)
3. Insert empty syringe needle at a second corner port. Inject air to expand the cassette chamber, then withdraw the dialyzed sample.
Thermo Scientific Slide-A-Lyzer dialysis flasks facilitate simple and effective removal of buffer salts and small contaminants from proteins and other macromolecules in larger sample volumes up to 250 mL.
Features of Slide-A-Lyzer dialysis flasks:
- Easy to use—Simply pipette or pour sample into flask and begin dialysis
- Fast dialysis—Flat flask chamber with two membranes provides high surface-area to volume ratio, enabling dialysis of a 250 mL sample in eight hours to overnight
- High recovery—Rectangular flask design maximizes recovery of entire sample volume via opening at top of flask
- Multiple molecular-weight cut-offs—Select the membrane MWCO that best suits your sample's molecular weight
- Color-coded frames—Easily identify membrane pore size (MWCO) based on the frame color
Slide-A-Lyzer dialysis flasks are very easy to use. Add and remove sample using a serological pipette or by directly pouring the sample through a wide screw-cap opening at the top of the flask. No knots or clips are needed to seal the units. Slide-A-Lyzer dialysis flasks are manufactured using clean room conditions and have low-protein binding regenerated cellulose membranes to enable maximum sample recovery and sample purity. The dialysis flasks are available in distinct colors, corresponding to the MWCO of the dialysis membrane: purple (20,000 daltons), orange (10,000 daltons), pink (3,500 daltons), and blue (2,000 daltons).
Slide-A-Lyzer dialysis flasks are constructed from two sheets of low-binding, regenerated-cellulose dialysis membrane that are hermetically sealed on either side of an inert plastic body. The membrane and flask materials are compatible with most laboratory buffers.
With Slide-A-Lyzer dialysis flasks, typical low-molecular weight contaminant removal, buffer exchange, and desalting can be accomplished in eight hours to overnight. The rate of dialysis depends on a variety of factors, including sample volume, size and shape of the molecule being dialyzed, agitation, and temperature. Minimum dialysis time must be determined empirically for each specific system.
Choose the right Slide-A-Lyzer flask device for your experiments
Slide-A-Lyzer flasks video
What is a dialysis cassette?
Dialysis cassettes offer a more convenient and secure alternative to traditional dialysis tubing. Traditional dialysis membrane tubing can be awkward to load and retrieve your sample, is slippery when wet and requires knots or plastic clips to secure the sample—these extra steps contribute to the possibility of lost sample. The Slide-A-Lyzer dialysis cassette offers a rigid-framed, free-standing, and self-floating vessel (G3 & G1) with a secure cap closure and large surface area regenerated cellulose membranes for simple and efficient dialysis experiments. Samples can be loaded and retrieved easily using a serological pipette or syringe.
Thermo Scientific created the original Slide-A-Lyzer G1 in 1997 as the first ready-to-use alternative to traditional tubing for dialysis experiments and has been refining the design over the past twenty years.
|Slippery when wet|
Flat tubing is difficult to handle when wet, increasing risk of sample loss during sample addition/removal
|sample handling||Easy handling and secure sample delivery|
Plastic frame and cap allow for secure sample addition/removal
|Risk of sample loss|
Sample can leak out if clamp becomes loose or falls off
|sample recovery||Sample protection|
Welded membrane and leak-proof cap helps minimize the risk of sample loss
Non-optimized design that typically requires overnight dialysis
|speed||Fast and efficient|
Innovative design with high surface/volume ratio allows for more rapid dialysis than conventional tubing
Comparison of Thermo Scientific Slide-A-Lyzer Cassettes with traditional dialysis tubing.
For Research Use Only. Not for use in diagnostic procedures.