Thermo Fisher Scientific offers a range of innovative analytical tools and resources that can help you solve complex challenges in the field of structural biology. We are committed to accelerating your science by providing a comprehensive suite of solutions for the determination of structure and function of macromolecules by developing powerful instrumentation, quality reagents and multifaceted software to deliver the high-performance results and insights to accelerate your research.
Accelerate the path from structure to function by combining the near-atomic resolution of cryo-electron microscopy with advance biomolecular mass spectrometry.
MS-based techniques to analyze single proteins and protein complex in their native biological state, and to reduce the minimum required sample size.
What is Structural Biology
Structural biology is the study of the molecular structure and dynamics of biological macromolecules such as proteins and how alterations in their structures can affect their function.
A protein’s structure and dynamics play a crucial role in its functions. Any changes to the structure of the protein can alter its function. If we needed any additional evidence that structural biology is an important area to emphasize, the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) pandemic has provided a global case study for the need for structural biology. For example, viruses use the glycoproteins on their surface to bind to receptors found on host cells. In order to for this to occur the glycoproteins assume orientations that would be easier for binding and to avoid response from host immune systems. Vaccines are designed to generate proteins that would generate optimum immune response. Furthermore, protein misfolding are known to be the primary cause of number of diseases such as Alzheimer's and cystic fibrosis. Extracting functional information of proteins – rather than structure alone – is key to tackling key research questions within structural biology.
Our proteomic software can help simplify statistical analysis of proteomics data and add biological meaning even in the most complex biological systems experiments.
Smart EPU Software is a data acquisition solution with interactive software components that automate multiple steps and guides decision making throughout the workflow.
- Best image quality for high resolution 3D reconstruction
- Enables Single Particle Analysis, Cryo Tomography and MicroED
- Flexible accelerating voltage 80 to 300 kV and highest resolution at 1.22 A
- Autoloader, 12 grids can be loaded at the same time
- Seamlessly couples with Thermo Scientific Orbitrap mass spectrometers
- Easier method development and routine analysis
- Improve productivity with better throughput and enhanced sample characterization
- Most versatile mass spectrometer for any structural biology experiment
- High resolution accurate mass (HRAM), multiple fragmentation, MSn capability and FAIMS Pro option
- Provides insights on the most complex molecules and biological systems, from whole proteome profiling, protein complexes to individual protein structural characterization
Resources & support
* Indicates a required field