Offering assistance with cancer research grants and funding
Fighting cancer is more than your research alone—it’s your passion to advance science in the pursuit of better health outcomes. Every factor in the service of this struggle is valuable, from sample to technology, data, and budget.
Because the obstacles are great and challenges many, we must partner together to become more efficient, move faster, and evolve more quickly than this tenacious disease. We at Thermo Fisher Scientific propose a bold, new path forward to empower your next discovery.
We are pleased to announce the launch of our Cancer Research Foundation
This foundation will feature two research area products or bundles, and to apply you will need to submit a short grant application to gain access to these tools for your institute. You can apply to only one of the research area bundles in each 4-month cycle.* The products in focus will change every four months, so there will be multiple opportunities to apply for these grants based on your research needs at that time. We will be accepting applications for the product grant packages below from January 1, 2020 to April 12, 2020.
Apply for access to these research focus bundles
Focus 1: Oncomine characterization service
This grant leverages the Ion Torrent next-generation sequencing (NGS) platform to monitor genomic variations associated with NIH-recognized cancer hotspots in your culture. This technology can detect multiple biomarker types, capturing all known cancer-causing mutations classified by NIH, and harnesses the power of NGS. This custom service, performed by Thermo Fisher Scientific according to your research needs, includes:
- Relevant content based on evidence from the Oncomine Knowledgebase and from collaboration with leading oncology research institutions and pharma companies
- Multiple biomarker analysis, including hotspot SNVs, indels, CNVs, and gene fusions across a range of cancer types
- Proven and reliable performance with high specificity, sensitivity, and reproducibility
- Robust results from even challenging FFPE tissue samples, including FNAs, with sample input as low as 10 ng of DNA and RNA
|A46080||Oncomine characterization service||1 each|
Focus 2: PCR
Winners of past Cancer Research Foundation grants
Each quarter, we award scientists with our Cancer Research Foundation grants. The products included in these grants will help enable their pursuits to better understand and treat cancer. To learn more about the winners and how our grants will impact their research, please visit our Cancer Research Foundation grant winners page.
Thermo Fisher Scientific Cancer Research Foundation Grant Program short rules
*No purchase necessary to enter or receive the grant. To participate in the Thermo Fisher Scientific Cancer Research Foundation Grant Program (the “Program”), you must submit your Grant Application (the “Application”) at http://www.thermofisher.com/global/en/home/products-and-services/promotions/life-science/cancer-research-foundation.html no later than April 17 at 11:59 p.m. GMT. The Program is open only to academic researchers in the field of cancer research located in an eligible jurisdiction whose representative is 18 years of age or older and who has submitted a completed Application. Void in Belgium, Finland, Italy, Sweden, Iran, Syria, Cuba, North Korea, North Sudan, China, Hong Kong, India, South America, Central America, Mexico, Puerto Rico and the Canadian province of Quebec. The person submitting the Application (the “Applicant”) is entering on behalf of their employer, which will be the recipient of the grant (the “Grant Recipient”). Void where this promotion or acceptance of a grant is prohibited or restricted by law or subject to registration or other procedures with which Sponsor may not have undertaken. Healthcare Professionals (term defined in the Official Rules) may not participate in this promotion. Government Officials (term defined in the Official Rules) located outside of North America may not participate in this promotion. US federal and state government employees may not participate in this promotion. All Applications must be submitted in the English language. One entry per person. Other eligibility restrictions apply. Sponsor will select two Grant Recipients from all qualifying entries.
A panel consisting of five judges with backgrounds in Research & Development and other technical functions will select two winners based upon the following criteria:
- 40% Need for the product(s) and the problems it will solve relating to cancer research
- 40% innovative use of the product(s)
- 20% impact of the product(s) for the larger team the Applicant works within
Sponsor reserves the right to cancel this Program if a minimum of 10 qualified submissions are not received by the Sponsor by the submission deadline.
There are two grant award packages available, as set forth below.
Oncomine Characterization Service Package:
• One Oncomine Characterization Service (approximate value $1800 USD)
• One ProFlex 3 x 32-well PCR System (approximate value $9090)
• One Thermal Cycler Fleet Control Software (approximate value $1558)
• Five MicroAmp TriFlex 3 x 32-Well PCR Reaction Plates (20 plates each) (approximate value $1010)
• One E-Gel Power Snap System Combo Kit (approximate value $2635)
• One E-Gel with SYBR Safe DNA Gel Stain, 1% (approximate value $490.05)
• One Platinum II Hot-Start Green PCR Master Mix (2X), 1000 reactions (approximate value $1176)
• One Platinum SuperFi II Green PCR Master Mix, 5 x 500 reactions (approximate value $5554)
• One Platinum Direct PCR Universal Master Mix, 4 x 500 reactions (approximate value $1500)
• One SuperScript IV First-Strand Synthesis System with ezDNase 200 reactions (approximate value $1880)
• One Collibri PCR-free PS DNA Library Prep Kit for Illumina Systems, with UD indexes (Set A, 1-24) (approximate value $888 USD)
• One Collibri Library Quantification Kit, 500 reactions (approximate value $462)
One Grant Recipient will receive the Oncomine characterization service package, and one Grant Recipient will receive the PCR package.
The two winners will be notified on approximately April 24, 2020. The Applicant and/or the Applicant’s institution must certify that they are not prohibited by employment, contract, law, or applicable professional code of conduct from entering or accepting a grant from Sponsor. The complete Official Rules are available here. In case of any inconsistency between these short rules and the complete Official Rules, the complete Official Rules will always prevail.
For Research Use Only. Not for use in diagnostic procedures.