The world has faced numerous outbreaks of infectious agents over the last 20 years, including Ebola, influenza, Zika, and novel coronaviruses (SARS, MERS, COVID-19). These pathogens have caused global economic disruption and strained public health resources.
Thermo Fisher Scientific has been at the forefront of these outbreaks, supporting scientists with gold-standard genetic analysis solutions, services, and support.
The most common areas of research related to infectious diseases are:
We offer comprehensive solutions that help with research into pathogenicity, host response, and underlying factors of host susceptibility and resistance.
Understanding the host response to an infection can include large scale –omics and discovery approaches, targeted identification of important cells and proteins involved in the immune response.
Our genetic analysis solutions for host response help with:
• Identification of host genomic factors
It is important to understand disease mechanisms and the associated biomarkers to identify drug-gene targets and vaccine targets for the best immune response.
Our genetic analysis solutions for vaccine/therapeutic discovery help with:
- Research of therapeutic agents that stimulate an immune response to create immunity to a specific pathogen
- Identification of targets within the pathogen that will generate an immune response (T-cell/B-cell immunity)
- Research of markers that will indicate positive response to the drug
- Understanding of host response to ensure safety
- Testing against immune response and toxicology panels
- Understanding of drug response and dosage safety based on pharmacogenomic profiles
Candidate & process development, manufacturing at scale
Our genetic analysis solutions for vaccine/therapeutic production help to:
• Ensure that the cells being used for producing the vaccine are correct and free from contamination
It is key to monitor strain evolution, outbreak management, environmental monitoring, and population genomics.
Our genetic analysis solutions for epidemiology help with:
- Identification and quantification of circulating strains
- Characterization of differences in strain sequence over time or tracking and monitoring mutations
- Understanding of host genomics factors for susceptibility, severity, and comorbidity
- Characterization of wastewater composition for pathogen
- Confirmation of virus specificity and origin
For Research Use Only. Not for use in diagnostic procedures.