You can now learn on the go. Click play to listen to this blog:
Commercializing a Scientific Product is a Unique Challenge
The Right OEM Partner is Key to Your Success
When commercializing a scientific product, like an assay or kit, challenges related to commercialization, security of supply, and carving out your place in the market exist. The innovation of your product and its unique ability to address an unmet need in the marketplace creates the competitive edge vital to your success.
An OEM Partner Delivers Customized Solutions for Your Individual Strategic Needs
While developing your strategy, you may find the need for a partnership to support your go-to-market plans. This may include essentials like commercial-use reagents, custom kitting, regulatory guidance, a secure supply chain, and complete molecular diagnostics workflow solutions. When this is the case, you would benefit from partnering with a company that is focused on delivering and optimizing a customized solution that can support your custom needs.
The right OEM partner can save you development time, provide a level of supply chain security, and grant commercial-use agreements to support the speed and scale necessary to achieve your market goal(s). After all, capturing significant market share and being the first to market (or a fast follower) can help you attain this target.
Four Key Elements of Customized OEM Solutions
Whether you are working on expanding your portfolio or innovating new assays and kits, below are four things you should know about customized OEM solutions that can help you achieve the scale and speed you need in your race to market.
1. Product-Based Solutions
The right OEM partner has a list of common customization requests that they can fulfill. These can be a combination of off-the-shelf and custom solutions like modified reagents, molecular synthesis, novel consumables, custom packaging, and more that are brought together to meet your specific needs and help increase efficiencies.
Product customization requests include items like:
- Custom formulations from ISO-compliant labs with in-process testing and stringent quality checks
- Volume/bulk packaging that supplies products at any scale and format — from bulk formats to finished goods
- Customized private labeling of finished goods (any size, format, tubes, bottles, etc.)
- Lyo-ready products, such as master mixes, that can be customized downstream
2. Business Model Solutions
A business model is a foundation for your company and products. Creating a successful business model is essential when commercializing your product. It can help you answer fundamental questions related to the problem you are going to solve, how you will solve it, how your business will generate revenue and what the growth opportunity is in the market.
Your OEM partner will support you with your go-to-market business strategy by:
- Establishing a secure and consistent supply chain
- Helping provide speed at scale
- Offering regulatory support and providing necessary documentation
- Granting access to commercial-use rights
- Facilitating quality assurance
- Establishing a partnership with a dedicated development team
- Supplying tailored workflows and automation support
- Offering software and UI customization solutions, including branding
- Giving you access to Application Programming Interface (API) options
- Providing custom product development and manufacturing for reagents, assays, primers, probes, and dye assays for improved multiplexing
3. Custom Manufacturing
One size does not fit all. Having access to custom manufacturing capabilities allows suppliers to continue to produce standard products, add value, and enhance designs to create a unique product for a specific customer.
The right partner can help solve manufacturing issues related to component availability, space, quality, speed, and more by:
- Providing high-quality products for commercial use
- Meeting quality standards
- Supplying global manufacturing location options and delivery capabilities
- Helping to provide expertise in global logistical support matching your products needs
- Creating tailored solutions for custom packaging and labeling
- Offering consulting services to help ensure use of the right components to get your product to market quicker
- Facilitating custom bulk packaging
A custom manufacturer is not only a supplier, but a partner, and ideally one with years of experience and industry knowledge. For example, an experienced manufacturer is flexible and able to respond to your needs while setting realistic expectations regarding their capabilities, timelines, costs, deliverables, and interactions between you and the experts who are there to assist you with your questions.
4. Expertise and Knowledge of Commercialization
Aligning with an OEM partner who has the necessary expertise and knowledge of commercialization will enhance your go-to-market business strategy. Whether you need supply agreements, custom packaging, specialty consumables, or something more specific – the right OEM partner can help you get what you need, when and where you need it.
By providing you with flexibility and a strong commitment to quality, they help ensure you have the right technology, components, and solutions needed to create high-quality, innovative products.
Your OEM partner should offer custom solutions to fit your needs, such as:
- Supporting your workflow through a dedicated commercial supply team, in-depth product and capabilities knowledge, and strict confidentiality agreements
- Accessing a broad portfolio with an extensive collection of technologies and tools for genetic analysis, with varied options available to fit your business needs
- Providing comprehensive development, customization, process control, and pilot lab or prototyping capabilities
- Offering licensing and commercial supply grants that provide confidence through longstanding expertise in agreements, out-licensing, change control, and security of supply
- Manufacturing with custom options for kitting, packaging, and private labeling
Finding the Right OEM partner
On your path to commercialization, a secure supply chain, speed to market, product costs, development efficiencies, customization, and manufacturing capabilities all matter. When choosing an OEM partner, there are some non-negotiables, and start-to-finish customization options should be one.
Working With a Global Supplier
Partnering with a global supplier that has the manufacturing expertise and capacity to support your growth strategy can minimize costs and decrease your time to market, helping you maintain a competitive advantage.
Access to Capabilities and Services
The right OEM partner can provide you access to the capabilities and services you either do not have or cannot currently access. This means giving you the innovative excellence, quality assurance, scalable manufacturing capacity, and commercial use rights needed to help accelerate your time to market, all without limiting your innovation.
Thermo Fisher Scientific OEM & Commercial Supply
We Go Beyond the Laboratory to Help You Succeed
The OEM and Commercial Supply team at Thermo Fisher Scientific helps you execute your unique vision through a comprehensive menu of custom manufacturing options and services. Our assistance goes beyond the laboratory; we connect clients to various solutions and support from other internal business teams throughout our global divisions. So, whether you’re looking for simple component alterations to your existing portfolio, or require a fully customized solution, we have the depth and breadth of knowledge to take you where you need to go.
Experience the difference working with a world leader in serving science can make.
Our business development and alliance managers, customer and technical support, product development, and manufacturing teams are ready to discuss your project and the needs required to commercialize your innovation. And –if our ready-made solutions do not address your needs, we’ll work with you to create a customized solution that does.
Discover Solutions That Are Custom Built Just for You
Related Links & Resources
- Article: How to Help Ensure Your Supply Chain Security
- Article: Nine Questions to Ask When Considering an OEM Partner
- Article: Three custom lyophilization solutions to OEMpower molecular assay development
- Article: Accelerate Your Innovation with Financing and Leasing Solutions
- ←Back to OEMpowered Blog