How often have you looked at slides through the microscope and your thoughts have been miles away? Have you ever been sitting at the bench pipetting and preparing a PCR and wondered if you had really added your forward primer to all your samples (I’ll raise my hand to this one)? How much time have you spent needlessly worrying about a presentation?
Work can be stressful, regardless of your position. We all have deadlines, goals to reach, all while trying to maintain the work-life balance. So what are some of the tried and true relaxation tools you can add into the mix to give your brain the rest it deserves? Some people find taking a walk or hitting the gym a great way to de-stress, but more people are adopting the practice of mindful meditation.
So what is mindful meditation? Isn’t that an oxymoron, are you not supposed to switch off rather than be “mindful”? It refers to the practice of focusing your awareness on the present moment to bring about a state of calm and serenity.
HERE ARE THE TOP TIPS TO GET STARTED:
- Set aside some time regularly where you can practice.
- Find a comfortable and peaceful place to give yourself space.
- Relax into your breath, soften your gaze, or close your eyes.
- Find peace in the present moment. This is what the practice is all about. Enjoy the moment and limit distractions.
- When distractions do arise, acknowledge them, release them, and focus on the moment once again.
- When you are ready to end your practice, slowly become aware of your surroundings and bring yourself back into a state of motion.
There are many resources for guided meditation, which can help get you started on the path to enlightenment. Check out your app store for tools that can help you on your journey to a less stressful life.