The mining industry is constantly seeking innovative new technologies to maximize the efficiency of exploration activities and mining operations. You can see some of these technologies demonstrated at the large global mining shows – including two that have already happened this year: 2013 SME Annual Meeting & Exhibit and Prospectors & Developers Association of Canada (PDAC) (photo on right from PDAC website). If you weren’t able to make either show, you can still get a look at one of the industry’s most comprehensive portfolios of analysis and material handling solutions from Thermo Fisher Scientific. Here’s a glimpse of the instruments, equipment, consumables, and industry-leading laboratory information management system (LIMS) that you missed:
- In the area of exploration, our new Thermo Scientific Ultra Performance XRF Mining Packages offer a unique, synergistic, and comprehensive solution for the analysis of light elements using modern, field-portable XRF equipment. Thermo Scientific™ Niton™ XL3t Series XRF analyzers now available with embedded GPS functionality, make it easier to capture the exact position of a sample at the same time geochemical analysis is performed.
- For material handling, the new Thermo Scientific™ Ramsey™ Micro-Tech 9000 Electronics platform provides enhanced communications and connectivity for process industry weighing and monitoring applications. Built-in Ethernet and USB capabilities improve system communication and prevent downtime by enabling independent load cell troubleshooting.
- During processing, the Thermo Scientific™ Nitus™ Gamma Backscatter (GBS) Gauge measures level, density and wall buildup in large mining vessels of any size and in pipes 24 inches or larger. Backed by patented, non-contacting gamma backscatter technology, the sensor on the Nitus gauge features a highly stable and sensitive scintillation detector that enables it to respond instantly to level or density changes so plant personnel can optimize process efficiency and maximize productivity.
- Back at the lab, the new Thermo Scientific™ ARL™ iSpark™ OES spectrometer provides precise, accurate and reliable solid metals measurement. It’s designed for high-speed and high-throughput analysis, and helps metallurgists achieve better productivity and quality. The Thermo Scientific ARL 9900 Series XRF-XRD spectrometers provide reliable analysis of elements and compounds in minerals and rocks, and the Thermo Scientific ARL PERFORM’X analyzer augments typical elemental analyses on pelletized or fused mineral samples with an ability to analyze small spots of 0.5mm and perform elemental mapping of rock or mineral samples. Both the ARL 9900 Series and ARL PERFORM’X analyzers can be linked to automatic sample preparation machines (mill and press or fusion machines) to fully automate routine labs with high sample throughput.
- And to tie things together, Thermo Scientific™ SampleManager Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS™) enables field and onsite laboratory and plant managers to continuously track, monitor, measure, analyze and report on all activities.
When it’s time to consider the use of leading-edge technology to enhance productivity, make sure you are looking at a synergistic portfolio of market-leading products addressing all segments of the mining process, from early stage exploration through processing. And if you’re planning on attending the International Mining Exhibition (EXPOSIBRAM) next month, please stop by booth H15 and you can get a first-hand look at our products.
Leave a Reply