The information in this website is intended only for healthcare professionals. By entering this site, you are confirming that you are a healthcare professional.
The information in this website is intended only for laboratory professionals. By entering this site, you are confirming that you are a laboratory professional.
With or without insurance, you can get a quick, personalized allergy test when it’s convenient for you.Read more >
This 4-year-old recently ate some ice cream without having a reaction—did she outgrow her milk allergy?Read more >
Everyone has their own unique combination of allergic triggers and not all of them are obvious.Read more >
Anaphylaxis, also called anaphylactic shock, is an acute, life-threatening allergic reaction.Read more >
Digestive and gastrointestinal issues are closely tied to what you eat.Read more >
Does this 8-year-old run the risk of having a severe reaction to peanuts?Read more >
Food allergies are the body’s immune system reacting to something that is normally harmless to most people–like milk or eggs.Read more >
If you suspect allergies are the cause of your symptoms, it is important to consult with your healthcare professional to get properly diagnosed.Read more >
There are options when it comes to testing to identify allergic triggers.Read more >
After eating a bowl of fruit and nut cereal, this 8-year-old was covered in large hives—what caused her reaction?Read more >
Get answers to some of the most common questions about allergy.Read more >
Call your local emergency number if someone is having an allergic reaction with signs of anaphylaxis.
Anaphylaxis, also called anaphylactic shock, is an acute, life-threatening allergic reaction. The reaction affects different organs in the body, one or several at a time. Even if the initial symptoms are experienced mildly, there is a risk that they may rapidly turn into a serious and severe condition. Anaphylaxis can occur immediately or within minutes, depending on the route of exposure, and can worsen quickly.
Anaphylaxis requires immediate medical attention and a trip to the emergency department. Because it can get so serious so fast, speedy treatment is incredibly important. This is why people with a known allergy carry epinephrine, usually in an auto-injector.
The most common anaphylactic reactions are to foods, insect stings, and medications. Foods are the most common cause in children and young adults, while medications and insect stings are more common causes of anaphylaxis in older adults.1
Although anaphylaxis is rare and most people recover from it, it's important to know what caused—or what could cause this severe reaction.