Energy & Climate Change
Ensuring future energy supplies and tackling climate change
- Develop tools and equipment to accelerate viable sources of renewable energy.
- Create tools and technologies to advance effective means of carbon sequestration.
Delivering renewable energy using a new generation of synthesized biofuels
We are on the cusp of creating a plentiful and efficient source of biofuels using synthetic biology. This is a critical step in the search for renewable energy, and it is being made possible by genomic sequencing combined with the tools and equipment researchers need to evolve the technology.
Developing biological systems that capture carbon emissions on a large scale
Reducing carbon emissions is essential to arresting climate change, but it is probably not enough on its own. Carbon sequestration, or the capture of carbon molecules in a safe and natural way, has the potential to slow the accumulation of greenhouse gases, deferring the impacts of climate change.
- Enabled a breakthrough in algae bioproduction
- Sponsored algae biofuel powered motorcycle in Baja 1000 race
- Developed new BIO-CAD software that simulates synthetic biology experiments