Isolate and presumptively identify Candida species with Thermo Scientific™ Oxoid™ BiGGY Agar (Nickerson Medium) (Dehydrated). BiGGY, Bismuth Sulphite Glucose Glycine Yeast Agar, is based on the formulation developed by Nickerson1 and is a highly selective medium inhibiting most of the competing flora.
|Description||BiGGY Agar (Nickerson Medium)|
|Yield||For 11.9L medium|
|Catalog Number||Specifications||Unit Size||Quantity||Price (USD)|
|CM0589B||Each||500 g||Request A Quote|
Serious infections due to Candida species are becoming increasingly prevalent. This poses particular problems because of the increasing incidence of non-albicans spp. and the emergence of non-albicans isolates resistant to both amphotericin B and the newer azoles2.
Use BiGGY Agar for isolation and identification of the Candida species.
Not all products are available for sale in all territories. Please inquire.
Remel™ and Oxoid™ products are now part of the Thermo Scientific brand
1. Nickerson W. J. (1953) J. Inf. Dis. 93. 43-56.
2. Sheehan, D. J. et al. (1999) Current and Emerging Azole Antifungal Agents. Clinical Microbiology Reviews, 12(1): 40-79
3.Barr F. S. and Collins G. F. (1966) South. Med. J. 59. 694-697.
4. Haley L. D. (1959) Trans. N. Y. Academy Sci. Series 11.
5. Mendel E. B., Naberman S. and Hall D. K. (1960) Obstet. & Gynec. 16. 180-184.
5. Code of Good Practice for the Toiletry and Cosmetic Industry (1975). Recommended Microbiological Limits and Guidelines to Microbiological Quality Control