Analysis of global gene expression patterns provides valuable insight into the role of differential expression in normal biological and disease processes.
Serial Analysis of Gene Expression (SAGE) is used to generate library of short sequence tags, each of which is then used to uniquely identify a transcript, with multiple tags forming long serial contigs across transcripts. The number of times each tag is detected is correlated to the expression level for the corresponding transcript.
SAGE™ technology allows comprehensive, digital, genome-wide expression analysis. The expression profiles generated are sensitive enough to detect low-abundance transcripts, making it possible to identify novel genes without prior sequence knowledge.
Why Choose SAGE™ Technology?
When you compare genome-wide methods, SAGE™ technology is the only method that delivers all the critical criteria for genome-wide expression analysis. SAGE™ technology is also unique in that there are several public databases that can be used to facilitate your analysis.
Advantage Over Microarrays
Microarrays can analyze many transcripts, but are limited by the variability of hybridization and can miss novel transcripts expressed at low levels.
Advantage Over Differential Display
Differential display can identify differences among transcripts, but is unable to provide comprehensive profiles.
High-Throughput Digital Gene Expression Analysis With the 5500xl Genetic Analyzer
- Hypothesis-neutral method—helps ensure highly accurate quantification of gene expression levels on a genome-wide scale.
- Reliable analysis—By focusing on 3’ transcripts, you get accurate data even from relatively limited data sets.
- Greater map-ability—Via the included SOLiD™ SAGE™ software package.
- Compatible—With SOLiD™ RNA Barcodes for multiplexing (SOLiD™ SAGE™ Kit with Barcode Adaptor Molecule).
Efficient SAGE™ Analysis With Capillary electrophoresis Genetic Analyzer
- Accurate and reliable detection—Higher optical sensitivity and advanced polymers to obtain higher-quality data at a lower cost.
- Automated approach—More than 24 hours of unattended operation. Multiple automation features decrease human errors.
- Reproducibility—Optimized polymers increase productivity without affecting results.
Velculescu VE, Zhang L, Vogelstein B, Kinzler KW (1995) Serial Analysis Of Gene Expression. Science 270:484–487.
Velculescu VE, Zhang L, Zhou W, Vogelstein J, Basrai MA, Bassett DE, Hieter P, Vogelstein B, and Kinzler KW (1997) Characterization of the yeast transcriptome. Cell 88:243–251.
For Research Use Only. Not for use in diagnostic procedures.