All KingFisher instruments come with dedicated BindIt PC software for excellent usability. Optimized protocols for a variety of Invitrogen™ and Thermo Scientific™ purification kits and reagents are included, and users can access and download new protocols for free as they become available. BindIt software also allows users to develop and optimize their own protocols, providing additional flexibility with the open KingFisher platform.
KingFisher Nucleic Acid and Protein Purification Systems
Optimize and automate your nucleic acid and purification workflows with Thermo Scientific™ KingFisher™ systems. KingFisher instruments reduce your hands-on time while maintaining high yields and excellent reproducibility. Optimized protocols for nucleic acids (e.g. MagMax kits), immunoprecipitation and protein puritfication (e.g. Dynabeads and Pierce Magnetic beads) are provided. Thermo Scientific™ Bindit™ software allows you to modify our pre-written protocols or create your own to handle more applications.
|Request a quote ›|
The KingFisher Purification Systems utilize permanent magnetic rods and disposable tip combs. When the magnetic rod—sheathed inside the tip comb—is lowered into the solution, magnetic beads collect at the bottom of the tip comb. The tip comb can then be positioned in a different row or plate, and the beads are then released by moving the magnetic rods out of the tip comb. The tip comb also facilitates the mixing of reagents with the beads by moving up and down.
Select the KingFisher tool for your needs
|KingFisher||KingFisher mL||KingFisher Duo Prime||KingFisher Flex||KingFisher Presto (New)|
|Max sample number/run||24||15||12/24 per load||96||96|
|Volume range||20-200 µl||50-1000 µl||30-5000 µl||20-5000 µl||50-5000 µl|
|Plate formats||strip plate||tube strips of 5||24DW, 96DW, elution strip||96, 96DW, 24DW, PCR||96, 96DW, 24DW|
|Bar code reader||With BindIt Sofware||With BindIt Sofware||With BindIt Sofware; as stand alone||With BindIt Sofware||Part of the system|
|Number of user selectable magnetic heads||1||1||2||4||2|
|Works with Bindit Software||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Stand alone use||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No*|
|Automation compatible||No||No||No||Yes||Yes, optimized|
* Protocol test run capability through BindIt Software
Applications and Technical Resources
Using KingFisher instruments with MagMAX™ kits provides a proven, convenient system for purifying nucleic acids for downstream applications such as real-time PCR and next-generation sequencing. Optimized MagMax protocols can be easily downloaded from the BindIt software page.
- Consistent, high-quality nucleic acid recovery from a wide variety of sample types
- Cross-contamination control, thanks to bead transfer technology
- Reduced hands-on time required to purify samples, compared to manual methods
Using KingFisher instruments with Dynabeads™ products gives you all of the benefits of the pioneering biomagnetic technology while increasing the number of samples you can process with less hands-on time. Dynabeads offer the best balance of high yield and reproducibility with low nonspecific binding and cost, which is one reason why they have become the gold standard for immunoprecipitation using magnetic beads. Optimized Dynabeads protocols can be easily downloaded from the BindIt software page..
- Low background—little to no nonspecific binding, and no preclearing and high signal to noise ratio
- Highly reproducible—uniform beads help ensure consistent results
- Flexible—products for IP, Co-IP, pull-down, and ChIP assays; ideal for manual and automated protocols
- Antibody savings—all binding occurs on the smooth outer surface of the beads, which conserves precious antibodies and supports a cost-efficient solution per sample
- Highly sensitive—Dynabeads technology is the most-cited method for sensitive applications, such as ChIP and IP of low-abundance proteins
Using KingFisher systems with Thermo Scientific™ Pierce™ Magnetic Beads provides solid support for a variety of assays and procedures based on affinity purification. The instruments and paramagnetic particles allow users to easily mix, incubate and separate the particles in 96-well plates without columns or centrifugation. Such ease of manipulation enables rapid processing of many samples and seemless integration and compatibility with entire workflows.
- Application Note: KingFisher Sample Purification System
- Application Note: DNA Extraction Protocols for Thermo Scientific KingFisher Instruments
- KingFisher Automated Sample Prep - Scalable isolation Protein Immunoprecipitation Nucleic Acid
- Application note: Improve Nucleic Acid Extraction using an Adjustable Tip Spacing Pipette
- Technical note: Simultaneous Nucleic Acid Purification from Multiple Sample Types
- Application Note: A Complete Next-Generation Sequencing Workflow for Circulating Cell-free DNA
Isolation and Analysis
- Smart Note: How can barcode readers help increase reliability in sample purification?
- Technical Note: Decontamination of the KingFisher Duo Prime processing chamber using UV light