What is transcriptome sequencing?
Transcriptome sequencing, or RNA sequencing (RNA-Seq), provides fundamental insights into how genomes are organized and regulated—giving us valuable information about the internal state of cells and how altered expression of genetic variants contributes to complex disease research. Transcriptome sequencing relies on next-generation sequencing (NGS) methodology and techniques.
We offer two great options for transcriptome analysis:
- Whole transcriptome sequencing, or RNA-Seq, for both discovery and gene expression analysis. Use the Ion GeneStudio S5 Systems combined with Invitrogen RNA purification and Ion Torrent library construction kits for identification and quantitation of both known and novel transcripts, including gene fusions and splice variants.
- Ion AmpliSeq Transcriptome solution for gene-level expression analysis. Ideal for traditional gene expression analysis, the Ion AmpliSeq Transcriptome Human Gene Expression Kit targets >20,000 RefSeq transcripts using as little as 10 ng RNA input with a fast and FFPE-compatible workflow.
Gene expression research webinar
Exosome miRNA sequencing for biomarker profiling using Ion S5 System and Ion Total RNA-Seq Kit
Lesley Cheng, PhD, La Trobe University.
Advantages of RNA-Seq over microarray techniques
- Increased specificity and sensitivity—detect more RNA species, including fusion transcripts and closely related isoforms
- Wider dynamic range—with sufficient read depth, the full breadth of biologically relevant expression changes can be detected using NGS approaches without the signal compression typical of microarray platforms
- Digital output—NGS read count provides a representation of absolute expression, enabling you to identify and characterize low-abundance transcripts
- Detect both known and unknown transcripts and variants—the unbiased nature of NGS sequencing coverage enables true transcriptome-wide biomarker discovery that does not rely on prior knowledge of the genome
Whole transcriptome sequencing workflow overview
We offer a complete RNA sequencing solution for gene expression research. From sample prep to analysis, we enable you to discover more when you perform RNA sequencing. We also support verification of your findings with our qPCR systems and reagents.
Our whole transcriptome RNA sequencing workflow provides you with:
- Rapid results
- Lowest cost per sample on a benchtop sequencer
- Flexible throughput
- Streamlined data analysis