Designed specifically for microbial fermentation
The Thermo Scientific HyPerforma Single-Use Fermentor (S.U.F.) is pioneering the single-use technology market by delivering a unique and rigorous solution for microbial fermentation applications while offering the flexibility, ease of use, and efficiency found in single-use systems.
The S.U.F. is engineered for optimal oxygen mass transfer, mixing, and temperature control, with performance comparable to conventional stainless-steel systems. S.U.F.s use fundamental engineering principles, helping to make scale-up and process development work readily streamlined. Available in 30 L and 300 L sizes, the S.U.F. consists of a fermentor tank and a standard Thermo Scientific HyPerforma S.U.F. BioProcess Container (BPC).
Benefits of single-use fermentors
Enhancements to improve performance of single-use fermentors were made to the 300 L hardware, as well as the 30 L and 300 L BPCs, to match more closely the oxygen delivery and cooling capacity performance of the stainless steel fermentors.
The cooling jacket surface area was increased on the sides and bottom for the 300 L S.U.F. to support adequate cooling of the production process. This 35% increase jacketed surface area will enable faster cooling of the molecule production process.
BioProcessing Container (BPC) enhancements
The BPCs for 30 L and 300 L were redesigned to have three parabolic turbine impellers that increase oxygen delivery from spargers by at least four times (4x). As a result, customer and internal culture comparisons showed that oxygen supplementation was reduced 5–7 fold vs. HyPerforma S.U.F., and is comparable to performance of stainless-steel fermentors, per same strain and procedure.
Developed with standard stainless-steel fermentation design geometry (3:1 height to diameter, 5:1 turndown ratio), the S.U.F. supports scale-up and process development activities.
- 3:1 total height-to-width aspect ratio for optimal cooling surface to volume ratio
- The BPCs are highly configurable, allowing for flexibility to address specific application needs
- Complete mixing system with a water jacket for temperature control
- Drive shaft inserts into the BPC through the mixing drive motor and locks into the BPC agitator assembly of the S.U.F. BPC
- Integrally sealed ports in the S.U.F. BPC allow for addition of sensor probes and line sets
- Integrated foam sensor
- Single-use pH, DO, temperature, foam, and pressure sensors with clear optical density plug port
- Exhaust management system with options of low or high flow hydrophobic filter membranes and multiple vent filters based on gas flow needs
- High flow exhaust condenser with back-up filters, gas sparge filter line sets
- Feed, submerge fill, syringe sample, and drain line set options
Powerful agitation facilitates high oxygen transfer (kLa)and a homogeneous reaction
- 3 Rushton impellers with standard S.U.F. or enhanced parabolic with eS.U.F.
- Impellers couple directly to shaft through bearing to drive motor
- 4 baffles
- Drilled-hole sparge (DHS) with ring-like design
- Innovative exhaust management and condenser systems designed to provide reliable off-gassing and help minimize liquid loss during the fermentation process
- Exhaust condenser unit (extend filter life)
- Exhaust gas vent filter heater (extend filter life, recommended 151 W for 300 L)
- Backup filter automated pinch clamp (extend filter life)
- Load cells
- Cable / tubing management tree
- Turnkey system with HyPerforma G3 process control system
- Electrical box for remote agitation or open-architecture control
S.U.F.s require a separate external temperature control unit (45 W/L min. cooling capacity recommended for high demanding cultures). You may choose an open-architecture approach or a turnkey, ready-to-use S.U.F. system.